Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New datejust, which one would you prefer

Options
  • 13-08-2015 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at a blue dialed datejust, which would you go for

the cleaner 116300

65464_732_dsc_5490_zpsicrkpv2a.jpg

or the more traditional 116334

4787808611_47d085bea0_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

IMO the 300 is a nicer watch.
    I think a dateline should be simple and elegant. The 334 is heading a little down the diver route with the bezel design.
    When you start messing with that simplicity it looses it's appeal to me.

Edit: they are both lovely and I would wear either in a heartbeat. The pic of the 300 doesn't do it justice, the pic of the 334 is much better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

A

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hmmm. I dunno. To my eye the clean bezel design should work, but doesn't. IMH it's too wide for the case and it looks like something is missing. Like a divers where the bezel fell off. The trad one because of the fluting doesn't have this issue and screams "Rolex" to me. Actually when I think of Rolex in my mind's eye it's this design rather than the Subs/GMT's etc that I picture.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Wibbs wrote: »
    Hmmm. I dunno. To my eye the clean bezel design should work, but doesn't. IMH it's too wide for the case and it looks like something is missing. Like a divers where the bezel fell off. The trad one because of the fluting doesn't have this issue and screams "Rolex" to me. Actually when I think of Rolex in my mind's eye it's this design rather than the Subs/GMT's etc that I picture.

+1

The plain bezel looks wrong on the djII. It looks OK on the smaller models but doesn't seem to have scaled as well on the djII . The fluted ones look the biz though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

sparrowcar wrote: »
    The pic of the 300 doesn't do it justice, the pic of the 334 is much better quality.

That's what I was wondering - do they have the same face as the pictures make the second one look much nicer? If they're identical bar the bezel then I'd go with the first one, cleaner look. Although I'd prefer either without the magnified date, looks like a cyclops staring at me with his beady eye, too distracting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

well, the fluted bezel is gold and the smooth one steel, so your getting that little extra.
    It used to be that the steel bezel watches were known as 'date', they all seem to be 'datejust' now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

The 334.

Though my choice would be the new 39mm oyster which is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

893bet wrote: »
    The 334.

Though my choice would be the new 39mm oyster which is amazing.

tried it on, was underwhelmed personally

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Cyrus wrote: »
    tried it on, was underwhelmed personally

Really? I love the simple design and perfect size. Yet to try on as there is zero chance of purchase in the next year.

Really? I love the simple design and perfect size. Yet to try on as there is zero chance of purchase in the next year.

its small on the wrist, and there is no fine adjustment on the clash, bit of a disappointment

• Advertisement

I was looking forward to them also but saw them in the flesh in the airport and was also underwhelmed.

Cyrus wrote: »
    its small on the wrist, and there is no fine adjustment on the clash, bit of a disappointment

No microadjustments?

No microadjustments?

none, no easy link or any other adjustment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I would prefer the 300 but like others , the Bezel just seems to make the Dial look smaller

I don't usually like busy Bezels but actually like the 334

so 334 is for me

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I went with the 300 bezel and black face, after much thinking about both. For me the fluted bezel worked better on a slightly smaller Datejust at 39mm. Either are good though; fine handsome watch. Micro-adjustment on bracelet (c.5mm) and good lume too.

Having said all that, I wouldn't turn down the fluted bezel option if it was offered. Some days I still wonder if it would have been better but the plain one suits me better (and my personality too I suspect - not sure if that's a good thing)...

Old photos, but new thread...:

DSCF1829_zpsjhpzelvv.jpg

Rolex%20DJII%20April_zpsygerfsjf.jpg

IMG_20150307_160508_zpsgnhdy8lf.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

300 would be my choice, fluted bezel reminds me of a slip clutch:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

If only I knew what a slipped clutch was !

The 116300 is plain, but handsome I think. Should still be handsome in 20 years' time.

Advertisement