Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth rooting an android phone?

Options
  • 12-08-2015 10:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Just got a new android phone a samsung core prime worth rooting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Depends what you want to root it for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Performance.get rid of build in apps i dont need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If there's a cyanogen rom I'd go for it. Removing system apps is good also. If you have any idea what you're at I'd go for it. Always root any device I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

kingroot works a charm !! one click and it's done no computer required.. recently rooted one of those myself using the above app !! only did it to get rid of bloatware and the likes really haven't even looked into custom roms or any of that jazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's worth it for adblock and titanium backup

• Advertisement

Its a samsung core prime so any tech experts think worth doing

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

Totally worth it for Greenify which can stops app from running the background when you're not using them. (I'm looking at you Piano Tiles)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

sasta le wrote: »
    Just got a new android phone a samsung core prime worth rooting

Just realise rooting will/usually does, break OTA updates installation.

You may have to manually install further system updates.

You will probably need a custom recovery, but could do stuff via adb, fastboot and unlocked bootloader.

Removing some system apps can be dodgy too, for example your Launcher, if you haven't installed another one in advance.

Provider Bloatware is something you could remove, but that's not always system....

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

refer to my post above

Thanks for all the replies guys keep em coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Just Google it, you'll get far more information

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I heard king root is dodgy, it pulls your imei and it ends up on a fake iPhone somwhere in the back arse of China. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I heard king root is dodgy, it pulls your imei and it ends up on a fake iPhone somwhere in the back arse of China. Maybe I'm wrong.

Don't know about the imei bit for sure, but the one phone I've used it on started acting very strangely, with all sorts of battery drains, wakelocks, unexplained data and GPS use/activation. And it's a pain to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Depends on the phone.
    I've a Nexus4 and never bothered rooting it.
    Doesn't come with bloatware to the same extent as other phones.

All previous Android phones I've had were rooted with custom ROM's flashed.
    Would definitely be rooting your Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

gouche wrote: »
    Depends on the phone.
    I've a Nexus4 and never bothered rooting it.
    Doesn't come with bloatware to the same extent as other phones.

All previous Android phones I've had were rooted with custom ROM's flashed.
    Would definitely be rooting your Samsung.

I've a Nexus 4 and never get OTA updates (it's still on 4.2). Anyway of getting Lollipop without rooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well i have a nexus 4 unrooted..it got ota to lollipop 3 months ago at least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Just realise rooting will/usually does, break OTA updates installation.

You may have to manually install further system updates.

You will probably need a custom recovery, but could do stuff via adb, fastboot and unlocked bootloader.

Removing some system apps can be dodgy too, for example your Launcher, if you haven't installed another one in advance.

Provider Bloatware is something you could remove, but that's not always system....

I think it's definitely worth considering this point about OTA updates. Samsung and google have said recently they're going to revamp their update cycle to provide monthly updates in response to all the recent security scares. If you're not into the idea of regularly flashing a new rom to keep up with those security issues maybe rooting might not be for you.
    We don't know exactly when Samsung will start with monthly updates and which phones it will update but might be worth waiting to see.

Also worth bearing in mind that some apps wont work if youre rooted such as skygo, 4od, some banking apps. There are work arounds for some but it can be laborious finding them.

Otherwise reasons to root was mainly Greenify for me but you can get that for non-root now too.

The developers dispute this, and have issued statements on XDA here, for what it's worth:
    INFORMATION COLLECTION

We heard about lots story about "Chinese steal you IMEI and clone a phone", in fact, we really don't know why we need do that and how to clone a phone . Anyway, I think we need publish the truth about information collection.

1. Just as I said above, KingRoot will deploy the most suitable root strategy into your device from cloud. In order to do this, we apparently need to get your ROM information. In the other words, we upload ROM information for root but not for "clone a phone"

2. We will not save ROM information in our server, if we do that, may be we need to update our server and make it as big as Google's. Come on, that's need a great amount of money.

3. All your sensitive information such IMEI will be encrypted and interpreted into another number in order to calculate success rate.

Also:

Statement: Why KingUser need internet connection and upload device information

I have used Kingroot, when nothing lse worked, and it seems to do the job well.....

There is an ongoing dispute now between Kingroot devs and those who developed SuperSume, which was used to remove Kingroot and replace it with SuperSu......

and Kingroot have made it almost impossible to replace the root manager with SuperSu.

Statement: About SuperSu and Super-Sume malicious remove KingRoot

corwill wrote: »
    Don't know about the imei bit for sure, but the one phone I've used it on started acting very strangely, with all sorts of battery drains, wakelocks, unexplained data and GPS use/activation. And it's a pain to get rid of.

Definitely not my experience.

Bear in mind im not very tech savy but trying to learn

• Advertisement
Advertisement