Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AIS - Wind speed and temperature?

Options
  • 12-08-2015 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Does the wind speed and temperatures listed on AIS for a ship show actual data obtained from the ship or is it taken from general weather forecast within the area the ship is located?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Does the wind speed and temperatures listed on AIS for a ship show actual data obtained from the ship or is it taken from general weather forecast within the area the ship is located?

There's no feed from the anemometer or thermometer to the AIS on a ship, so I'd imagine, if you're seeing it on the Internet, it's a combination of Met' observations transmitted by ships to the UK Met Office and met' obs' buoys etc

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

LiamoSail wrote: »
    There's no feed from the anemometer or thermometer to the AIS on a ship, so I'd imagine, if you're seeing it on the Internet, it's a combination of Met' observations transmitted by ships to the UK Met Office and met' obs' buoys etc

Cheers, was thinking this was the case, looking at ships in relatively the same area you get the very same reading, wouldn't be expected to match if they had independent sensors aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

There was a website that I cant find anymore that did give live wind and temperature readings from the ship. If anyone can think of it .

Advertisement