Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Offers

Options
  • 12-08-2015 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Moderator if you can move this to the right area if this is the wrong one. Apologies in advance.

Right so basically the results came out today and everyone gets their first offers this coming Monday. My understanding is should people reject these offers/places the place they have been offered becomes available once again. These places are offered in the second/third round of offers.

My questions are:

1. On the CAO website, there is a button link "Apply". Does this allow me to apply for any courses with declined places that I hadn't applied for previously? If so, is there any decent courses on there? Are these offered in the second/third round?
    And am I creating jeopardy for myself by possibly ending up without any place at all?

2. If I accept a place on the first round of offers can I backtrack and apply to these unfilled places?

I'd like to do Law. But I heard about this thing now and I'm curious about it. It fascinates me to think that I could apply for these courses and get offered a better course that I might even prefer! :D

Many thanks in advance if there are any replies and sorry if I don't make much sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Elemonator wrote: »
    Moderator if you can move this to the right area if this is the wrong one. Apologies in advance.

Right so basically the results came out today and everyone gets their first offers this coming Monday. My understanding is should people reject these offers/places the place they have been offered becomes available once again. These places are offered in the second/third round of offers.

My questions are:

1. On the CAO website, there is a button link "Apply". Does this allow me to apply for any courses with declined places that I hadn't applied for previously? If so, is there any decent courses on there? Are these offered in the second/third round?
    And am I creating jeopardy for myself by possibly ending up without any place at all?

2. If I accept a place on the first round of offers can I backtrack and apply to these unfilled places?

I'd like to do Law. But I heard about this thing now and I'm curious about it. It fascinates me to think that I could apply for these courses and get offered a better course that I might even prefer! :D

Many thanks in advance if there are any replies and sorry if I don't make much sense.

In short, no to all of your questions. First round offers go to those who have applied to the course and have the highest points
    Eg
    A has 600 point, B has 550 and C has 500. The course has 200 places. 200 people with the highest results are offered places in round 1, the person with the lowest points who gets offered a place has 560 points. A gets an offer, B and C don't. 20 people turn down the course so the next 20 people on the list get an offer in round 2. B gets an offer in this round but only 15 people accept the second round offer. This leaves 5 open places for the course which are offered to the people with the next highest points. C gets an offer in this third round and the person with the lowest points who got offered the course in this round has 495. When that person accepts the course their point, 495, become the minimum points that are printed for the course for that year.

So in short, you can't apply for anything new at this point, the closing date was 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Some places will appear on that list and some won't after the first round.

It's not a case of a person rejecting a place in say Law and then that place going on the vacant places list. It doesn't work like that.

First of all, if there are 100 places in Law in UCD and after the first round 90 places are accepted with 10 declined, then those 10 places will go to the next 10 people with the highest points if they have it on their CAO list and it is higher than an offer they got in the first round. This is the way all courses play out over the rounds.

Vacant places: A number of courses never fill and the CAO knows of some of these places from the off. So if for example Law in Trinity had 100 places but only 75 students in the whole country put it down anywhere on their list of choices for the CAO and every single one of them were offered a place and all of them accepted it in the first round, then the course would still not be full, so that course would appear on the vacant places list from the start, and they would have space for 25 applicants that wanted to change their mind or people who didn't apply to the CAO can make an application to the CAO in August for one of the vacant places if they meet the entry requirements with their LC results.

To answer your query if we took the same course again and 140 people had it on their CAO, but between the rounds only 95 of them took up places on the course, then it could turn up on the vacant places list. Now I'd imagine there is some discretion there and colleges might prefer to leave it at 95 rather than put it on the list.

Realistically most of the courses that appear are L6/7 courses that students don't take up the offer for because they got their L8 offer. Some L8 courses appear on it, but far fewer. The popular courses never appear on it. But it is worth a look.

If you accepted an offer next Monday and the following week apply for a vacant place that caught your eye and are offered it then your previous offer is null and void and you can't swap back, so make sure you know what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

If you accept your second choice but say after second round you get
    Offered first choice can you take
    It if you accepted second choice already?
    Or say you accept second choice and after appeals got
    Enough points for first choice can you
    Change at that stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

nickys wrote: »
    If you accept your second choice but say after second round you get
    Offered first choice can you take
    It if you accepted second choice already?
    Or say you accept second choice and after appeals got
    Enough points for first choice can you
    Change at that stage ?

Yep, you would get offered up but not down. So if you were offered and accepted your second choice you could get offered your first choice but not your third. After appeals you could get offered your first choice for next year if the course is full or you can stick with your second choice if you're happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Js1997

Hi I got 435 in my leaving cert and am hoping to do law in UL. I have just been told by the lecturer of this course after emailing him that the points are up and that they are 435 this year. So does anyone know if I'm guaranteed or a brilliant chance of getting a place?

• Advertisement

Js1997 wrote: »
    Hi I got 435 in my leaving cert and am hoping to do law in UL. I have just been told by the lecturer of this course after emailing him that the points are up and that they are 435 this year. So does anyone know if I'm guaranteed or a brilliant chance of getting a place?

No nobody knows. The lecturer probably shouldn't have given you that information but assuming for the moment that it's true you may have a place but it could also be decided on random selection if there is more than one person on 435.

You'll find out on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ko3p

can you receive more than one level 8 offer in round one? I have met the requirements for my 2nd and 3rd choices, does this mean that I will receive offers for both of those in round one or only my 2nd choice?

ko3p wrote: »
    can you receive more than one level 8 offer in round one? I have met the requirements for my 2nd and 3rd choices, does this mean that I will receive offers for both of those in round one or only my 2nd choice?

No, you'll only get one L8 offer, the highest one on your list that you are eligible for. So if you make the cut off for second and third choice you will be offered your second choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

ko3p wrote: »

Just your second choice.

Advertisement