Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Lake Studios

Options
  • 12-08-2015 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Well lads.

Don't know if this the right place to put this. Anyway, I am in a band and we are looking at recording an EP.

Red lake have a some very attractive offers http://www.redlakesoundstudios.ie/

But the have a pay upfront thing going...

Now, we don't mind cos it really is great deal for the price but where's the incentive for the engineer/producer to lets say do a final mix and then master the songs and not take ages etc. The songs the have up on their website do really sound top class and we are prob just being a bit too weary but better safe than sorry and all that.

Has anyone dealt with these guys before and what were your experiences?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Most are pay upfront. A deposit of sorts at a percentage. So the time is booked. It makes plain business sense to have a paying customer book their time with a deposit instead of filling the time with non deposits and no shows.

If you are feeling wary you can use Paypal with customer protection. Its not rocket science and your ass is covered.

That is my 2C.

Best
    Peter

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

I wouldn't be keen on paying the full amount upfront, you should be able to negotiate a percentage: 50% now, 50% on completion.
    I'd also structure and plan your session so that tracking/editing is separate to mixing.

Say, for example, 4 days tracking, 4 days mixing...
    Pay your 50% for the tracking and book that 4 day session.
    On completion, pay the remaining 50% and get your multitrack files.

You can then go elsewhere to mix if you want, or go do editing yourselves to save cost if that's required.

Then book your mix session and follow the same process.
    If it's all bundled together, you might save a bit of money getting a better rate, but you also get tied into paying for the whole project in full before getting the recordings even if you're not happy with the mixing work.

Not saying this will happen, but I would tend to plan these things in a way that assumes the worst happening.

Advertisement