Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total noob, C25K

Options
  • 12-08-2015 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Just after doing my second session, having never run before, and I have a few questions if anyone can help!

- I found it tough running for the full minute for about half (4 out of the 8) of the "running slots". Should I repeat the first weeks schedule until I can complete each one?

- Is there anything I can do (stretch/eat) to help with the muscle pain the next day?!

I've been doing calf/thigh stretches and they're helping so much; am I missing something?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Hi captain slow, welcome to A/R. There is a couch to 5K thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056143231 which might interest you. If you were able to finish the run parts in week one then keep going to week two. If you couldn't finish the runs (that's fine) then yes, repeat the week, you can repeat a week at any time too, there is no race to get to the finish here :)Keep all your runs nice and slow, don't run flat out rather 'jog' them.

With regard to stretches runnersworld.com is a great source of information for all things running including stretches, lots of reading there! Good luck with your running.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

As someone very familiar with C25K, what I would say to you regarding finding the intervals hard, slow down a little. At this point, it's not a question of speed, just a question of building up the capability - It may be that you are pushing too hard, keep it easy, and keep us posted...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The most important thing is not to stop, in terms of skipping days and weeks. It's fine to miss the odd one, but you need consistency. I started the C25K in July last year. I'm currently training for the Dublin Marathon. It's a fantastic stepping stone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Aye, to echo everyone else here-

slow is pro

Get the miles/minutes into your legs now, and the speed will come later. Promise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I think my speed is a problem; I'm not flat out running but I don't know how to slow down!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I think my speed is a problem; I'm not flat out running but I don't know how to slow down!!

try jogging on the spot before you start off then gently move forward at the same jogging on the spot pace, unless you jog on the spot like Rocky Balboa you should be grand :D. Without doubt its probably the one thing we all do as new runners and we all in turn have had to learn to slow down, the sooner you get the hang of that the better :) It was way after the end of C25K before anyone told me!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Let your body adapt and get used to running not walking action.

Run easy and quiet, speed is later.

I often do 3x at each level before moving up.

Muscle achey good sign of growth, but avoid pain.

I think I sussed it today; I managed to slow down and do all jogging sessions. I definitely don't feel as sore today!

EDIT: Thanks for all of your help!

After many attempts and a few periods of total abandonment, I finally finished my first 5k this week without stopping! I'm not sure of the exact time, between 40 and 50 minutes; I was more concerned of going the distance rather than the time it took.

Now, how do I go about bettering my time? Is it a matter of plugging away at it (slowly) and build myself up or is there any exercises that I could be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Congratulations on your achievement . The more you run the quicker you will get. It might help to vary your runs ., most ruuning plans I've used have a couple of easy runs and one faster (tempo) run and one longer run each week. Building the distance gradually.

Good luck with the goals

• Advertisement

Thanks. I only get out twice a week so was planning on doing the 5k for the first day and then a fast 1k for the second day. I was hoping to increase the distance of the fast run as I built up my stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

Was in the exact same position as you a year ago...the thought of a 10km run was beyond me...I would recommend joining an athletic club...has helped me enormously. Structured training and like minded runners. Team events like cross country etc are actually good fun (outside the whole agony of running them!!😂😂😂)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thanks. I only get out twice a week so was planning on doing the 5k for the first day and then a fast 1k for the second day. I was hoping to increase the distance of the fast run as I built up my stamina.

Is there any way you could run more than 2 days? I think adding another run or 2 would be the way to go if time permitted .

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

once a week maintain
    twice slow improve
    three times quicker improvement.

If 3x is too hard on body try cross training, so maybe bike or x-trainer in gym for one session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

No need for any fast running just yet. Do your 5k again the second day. Find some time to do a third 5k during the week.

When you are comfortable running 5k 3 times a week at your current pace try to gradually increase the distance in one of them up to about 8k.

At your stage the more time/distance you spend running will give you greater improvement than trying to increase pace.

At the moment, I'm not able to do more than 2 days; work and parenting gets in the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

At the moment, I'm not able to do more than 2 days; work and parenting gets in the way!

Could you run at lunchtime? (Even if you have no showers, 20 mins slow jogging isn't going to get you too sweaty!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

In that case make the most of your 2 days by gradually increasing the time or distance you spend running. Plenty of time for the speedy stuff later when you have built up a decent foundation.
    Keep it up, and well done for persevering so far.

MCS

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Could you run at lunchtime? (Even if you have no showers, 20 mins slow jogging isn't going to get you too sweaty!)

If I'm lucky, I get a half hour lunch, so that's not possible. I'm going to try squeeze in a third day in the coming weeks, but it wouldn't be every week.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, I think I'll go with attempting the 5k twice a week and go from there. The local parkrun would be a nice challenge for the coming months and would give me something to work towards.

Advertisement