Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repo / Git for Web Development

Options
  • 12-08-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Is there a cross platform solution for push / pull web development? I often hop between laptops when developing and while I have a Git for iOS, I'm curious is there one for web development? e.g. Keep the files current across my devices and then when I commit a build, it will FTP to the server.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

Your question is a little confusing, GIT is a platform independent repository service, how you access it from OS' is the only real difference.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm curious is there one for web development?
    No idea what you are asking here?
    Keep the files current across my devices and then when I commit a build, it will FTP to the server.
    This is the exact purpose of services like GIT, are you having some specific problems with this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GIT is both platform and data independent. Strictly speaking you don't need to use it for coding at all, you could use it for collaborating on Word documents. Or Minecraft save files, or whatever the hell you want.

If you're looking for a build to be pushed to a website after commit, then you're looking for build & deploy automation tools like Jenkins, TeamCity, Octopus and Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

seamus wrote: »
    If you're looking for a build to be pushed to a website after commit, then you're looking for build & deploy automation tools like Jenkins, TeamCity, Octopus and Go.

This is what I'm referring to. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

it will FTP to the server.

Have you tried searching for a host that supports deployment from git rather than relying on an FTP transfer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sounds like you are talking about pushing to the cloud so you can git fetch/pull from any device where you are working? If that is the case then there are lots of solutions like github, bitbucket, gitlabs, etc

Or are you are talking about getting your code deployed to your production/test server? If so, then you will need a continuos integration server of some sort, lots of different ones, jenkins, cruisecontrol, circleci, travis, etc. Some of those you can run yourself, others you pay for the service to run in the cloud.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jester77 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are talking about pushing to the cloud so you can git fetch/pull from any device where you are working? If that is the case then there are lots of solutions like github, bitbucket, gitlabs, etc

Or are you are talking about getting your code deployed to your production/test server? If so, then you will need a continuos integration server of some sort, lots of different ones, jenkins, cruisecontrol, circleci, travis, etc. Some of those you can run yourself, others you pay for the service to run in the cloud.

You don't always need to run a seperate CI tool.

Azure for example (and I presume the other cloud providers) allow you to continuously deploy from github, visual studio online, bitbucket etc without the need for a middleman. Depends on what sort of complexity you need.

awec wrote: »
    Azure for example (and I presume the other cloud providers) allow you to continuously deploy from github, visual studio online, bitbucket etc without the need for a middleman. Depends on what sort of complexity you need.

+1

There's an increasing number of providers that offer deployment directly from git.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

I have some experience using DeployHQ for this, hooked directly into git projects. It's pretty easy to use. The free version gives you 1 project and 10 deployments per day.

It's pretty good and easy to use. I was looking at others as well, but some members of the team where I work really like DeployHQ, so we've stuck with that. The pricing model is pretty good as well if you want more than 1 project. It's pretty good.

That's the only 1 I can speak for really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

If you are looking to just commit your code to a repo that can be accessed across your devices then things like GitHub and Bitbucket are perfect. If you want to commit as well as deploy you can look at something like Git and Heroku? Heroku would take the need for a CI server etc away from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Check out http://www.spoon.net

They have a Spoonium service too (Selenium running in the cloud)

They also have a great browser sandbox with pretty much every browser ever released (Including some mobile browsers):

https://spoon.net/browsers

And of course the same GIT Hub type of environment. I'm using it currently on Windows 8.1, it's not working\supported for Windows 10 yet but works great for what I do.

They also have a CI...

I've never used these direct deploying tools, is it possible to run your test suites after you push a new feature and before deploying?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks everyone. The projects I have are really quite simple but was wondering is it possible to have them sync'd across devices and deployed, which apparently it now is. And now that I can use Git and auto deploy with some providers, that's even better news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

I've never used these direct deploying tools, is it possible to run your test suites after you push a new feature and before deploying?

Yeah, there are several services that offer this, like the ones already mentioned (Jenkins, circleci, travis). My personal favourite is codeship.com which offers 100 free builds/pushes a month.

Yeah, there are several services that offer this, like the ones already mentioned (Jenkins, circleci, travis). My personal favourite is codeship.com which offers 100 free builds/pushes a month.

I know these services, but I've never worked with these direct services, someone mentioned Azure. I was wondering if these can run your tests before deploying code?

I know these services, but I've never worked with these direct services, someone mentioned Azure. I was wondering if these can run your tests before deploying code?

I must be missing something here, the services I mentioned are all capable of running your test suite before deployment infact that's the primary reason they exist.

I must be missing something here, the services I mentioned are all capable of running your test suite before deployment infact that's the primary reason they exist.

Yes, they are all traditional CI servers, but someone above mentioned you can cut out the CI server with something like Azure. I've never used anything like that so I'm just wondering what it can do, can it run test scripts for you or what is its purpose. And what would the advantage be over just writing a quick script to use the github api to deploy straight to an ftp server.

Yes, they are all traditional CI servers, but someone above mentioned you can cut out the CI server with something like Azure. I've never used anything like that so I'm just wondering what it can do, can it run test scripts for you or what is its purpose. And what would the advantage be over just writing a quick script to use the github api to deploy straight to an ftp server.

Sorry, my confusion. Im actually currently using Envoy from laravel to do deployments and remote management on my own site. My site is built out with laravel 5.1 and i use homestead for the development, so I do my tests there (not that I have many) and then simply run `er production-deploy` (er is bash aliased to envoy run) to get it pushed up and any DB migrations run.

Sorry, my confusion. Im actually currently using Envoy from laravel to do deployments and remote management on my own site. My site is built out with laravel 5.1 and i use homestead for the development, so I do my tests there (not that I have many) and then simply run `er production-deploy` (er is bash aliased to envoy run) to get it pushed up and any DB migrations run.

Is there any reason you're not using the same process (Envoy) for your non-laravel websites? It works every bit as smoothly.

Graham wrote: »
    Is there any reason you're not using the same process (Envoy) for your non-laravel websites? It works every bit as smoothly.

At present all my personal work is done in laravel and at work we have a much different setup using gitlab and a ton of git hooks

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That is the responsibility of whatever you use to host your code. It depends if your source control system can do builds or not. Github can't and you have to use third party tools for that, but Visual Studio Online does.

You can tell VSO to build your code, run your unit tests and then deploy it to Azure.

On the Azure side it'll deploy but it stores each deployment so if you deploy something you don't like it only takes a second to roll back to the previous deployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My suggestion is to use Spoon over Azure. From what I understand, when I was using Azure (through my company) you're charged per compute being used...so you're charged via resources used. It sounds good, only paying for what you use....until you go over capacity or leave something running by mistake. Half the effort is managing and setting up safe guards against that happening.

With Spoon and their Spoonium\Selenium yoke. You can call the grid in your code and run your Unit Tests (I used the free nUnit Selenium Framework w/ Visual Studio 2013 running C#) against their virtual\isolated\sandboxed browsers. So all you ever need to interact with is your machine...you have a small plugin installed on your machine which allows you to connect back to their grid. You execute the Unit Tests and it launches the browser...obviously you can then code in steps or actions to test.

You can just run against all browsers, if you wanted to. So it would cycle through testing in each browser and log the results. So you can see what did and didn't work in each. What might have looked off or out of place in one etc. I have also used Python...it seems compatible with all IDEs..

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Codeship is very very good and exceptionally easy to get to grips with.

Advertisement