Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NQTs in Middle Easr

• 12-08-2015 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

friends of mine have worked in the UAE with SABIS and with only a degree. I have a teaching degree but no experience and yet am struggling to find employment in UAE! I''ve done a year of TEFL and a year teaching uni undergrads so I have experience!

Just wondering.....since when does one need so much experience in UAE? Where else can I go? Pakistan and Iraq have been suggested....and immediately rejected

Claire

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

goose1 wrote: »
    friends of mine have worked in the UAE with SABIS and with only a degree. I have a teaching degree but no experience and yet am struggling to find employment in UAE! I''ve done a year of TEFL and a year teaching uni undergrads so I have experience!

Just wondering.....since when does one need so much experience in UAE? Where else can I go? Pakistan and Iraq have been suggested....and immediately rejected

Claire

TELF in South Korea? Reasonably well paid, all lesson plans handed to you

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

katydid wrote: »
    TELF in South Korea? Reasonably well paid, all lesson plans handed to you

I think a new thing has come in that says you need 2 years experience in the UAE. My bf is an NQT and some recruitment agencies he found helpful were seekteachers, teachanywhere and teachandexplore. These all put him in touch with places within these countries who will take NQTs although this could be because we are going as a teaching couple and i have 5 years experience. Teach and explore are Irish and we found these to be the best as they have been constantly in touch with us and extremely helpful.

I think a new thing has come in that says you need 2 years experience in the UAE. My bf is an NQT and some recruitment agencies he found helpful were seekteachers, teachanywhere and teachandexplore. These all put him in touch with places within these countries who will take NQTs although this could be because we are going as a teaching couple and i have 5 years experience. Teach and explore are Irish and we found these to be the best as they have been constantly in touch with us and extremely helpful.

You need two years experience in the UAE to each in South Korea? That can't be right, surely?

I have to say that as a woman, I wouldn't fancy working in a ME country.

No, I meant you need 2 years teaching experience to teach in the UAE.

No, I meant you need 2 years teaching experience to teach in the UAE.

Ah ok, I was wondering!

• Advertisement

I think it's only a new thing. I'm in the same boat basically, my bf is an NQT, can't get a job here and we're finding it hard to get one abroad because most places look for 2 years experience which I have but he doesn't. We are also not married so it's harder to get a place together in the Middle East, depending on where you go. You can go to Kuwait as an NQT for a years contract instead of 2 years contract which a lot of Middle Eastern places are for. It's a dry country though so we didn't think we'd last long! We have also been offered Kazahkstan!

I think it's only a new thing. I'm in the same boat basically, my bf is an NQT, can't get a job here and we're finding it hard to get one abroad because most places look for 2 years experience which I have but he doesn't. We are also not married so it's harder to get a place together in the Middle East, depending on where you go. You can go to Kuwait as an NQT for a years contract instead of 2 years contract which a lot of Middle Eastern places are for. It's a dry country though so we didn't think we'd last long! We have also been offered Kazahkstan!

I would NOT like to be in one of those ME countries, as a woman especially. You'd have to live in a total bubble. But then, I suppose it gets you the experience.

Kazahkstan sounds great. I had a student from there a few year ago, and she gave a presentation on the country. It's actually a stunning place, if you get the chance to travel outside the cities. If I was young, free and single(ish) I'd go for it!

My brother lives in Dubai and I know a few people in Abu Dhabi, so I think they have a great social life, girls included, and they're a lot more liberal than some of the other places but I suppose you can never be too sure. We were looking at Al Ain but fell at the final hurdle. Thinking about Qatar aswell. One good thing about Kazakhstan is the 1 year contract. The pay is good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sineadg91

Hey, I moved to Abu Dhabi as an NQT last year. I had no experience and went on my own so decided to join SABIS. You don't need to be a qualified teacher to work for them, its very structured and goes against everything you have learned in becoming an NQT but its a great way to get started and its only a one year contract. Once you get settled then its much easier to look for work for the second year in better schools. Having lived in the UAE for a year at that stage ,the employers know that you are well used to the culture and wont decide to quit after a few months which happens regularly.

I wouldn't be put off by the culture over here at all. The nightlife is great, you wear what you want, I never feel unsafe or degraded as a woman. You are going to be surrounded by people from different nationalities but how you react to them is up to you.

I would recommend the move to anyone!

Advertisement