Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for writing

Options
  • 11-08-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I know this is quite a general question, but I just wondered if anyone had any tips for creative writing? I have never done it before and I was thinking I might start with a short story - it's just I don't know where to start!

Any tips?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Setting. Place, era, time of year, weather conditions if necessary.
    Characters.
    Plot: Beginning, middle, end.

Who's involved, what happens to them, and why? Work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Maybe as you are just starting, don't be concerned about writing something structured quite yet like a short story.
    Just start writing, about anything. Have a look around your room and pick any random object and start writing about it. Or a person. Or a memory. You don't have to write about what you know but it's probably easiest when you are starting.
    Things will start to happen that you didn't expect. Just enjoy that and if a story starts to develop out of nowhere then follow it to see where it is goes. If it starts to feel like it's getting tough and you are getting stuck, then just start writing about something else. Worry about 'the craft' of a structured story later once you feel a bit confident about getting your thoughts out of your head and on to the screen/page.
    Discouragement is probably the hardest thing to master so keep it simple and fun to start with and ask for feedback.
    Beyond that, here's a good article to read ...
    http://www.writing.ie/resources/joseph-oconnors-top-10-tips/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

redser7 wrote: »
    Maybe as you are just starting, don't be concerned about writing something structured quite yet like a short story.
    Just start writing, about anything. Have a look around your room and pick any random object and start writing about it. Or a person. Or a memory. You don't have to write about what you know but it's probably easiest when you are starting.
    Things will start to happen that you didn't expect. Just enjoy that and if a story starts to develop out of nowhere then follow it to see where it is goes. If it starts to feel like it's getting tough and you are getting stuck, then just start writing about something else. Worry about 'the craft' of a structured story later once you feel a bit confident about getting your thoughts out of your head and on to the screen/page.
    Discouragement is probably the hardest thing to master so keep it simple and fun to start with and ask for feedback.
    Beyond that, here's a good article to read ...
    http://www.writing.ie/resources/joseph-oconnors-top-10-tips/

Great, thanks :D

Advertisement