Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me please. Chemical structure of Botrytis in grapes

Options
  • 11-08-2015 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am designing a tattoo and the subject is wine !!!

I just want to confirm what the chemical structure is for Botrytis cinerea, it is a fungus that is allowed to grow onto a bunch of grapes, which are then allowed to rot. The most delicious wine is then produced from the rotted grapes.

The other chemical structure I am going to use is the tannin example here .. http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/05/28/redwinechemicals/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

ok, so i,ve been trying to do some very amateur research, and I think I am discovering that because Botrytis cinerea is a fungus it does not have a simple chemical structure that somewhat defines it, it is too complex. It only reacts to compounds to create an effect. Is this understanding correct ? Maybe this should be a biology question ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Yup, you have it right. Fungi are complex organisms comprised of countless molecules. Even the individual proteins found in a fungus are too complex to be represented as skeletal structures like the tannins you've mentioned. You most definitely wouldn't have enough space on your skin to fit them in.

Your best bet might be an image of the fungus under a microscope. It looks pretty enough. Not sure if it's anything like you have in mind though.

https://raxacollective.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/microscope.jpg

Not sure exactly what you mean by "It only reacts to compounds to create an effect." All life in general basically involves chemical reactions happening on a grand scale. Though it does get to the point where it becomes to complicated to try to view things in terms of simple organic chemistry. There are indeed all sorts of chemical reactions going on within the fungus and between the fungus and its external environment. I've seen fungi referred to as "nature's biochemists" as they produce all sorts of chemicals that are light years beyond the synthetic capabilities of the best chemists around today.

As an aside, when some people see tattoos based on chemical structures, they think that they're representing a psychoactive drug of some kind. Whether this might bother you or not is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Thanks for the reply & help. Realising that I had it wrong looking for the compound, I do like the microscope image, I just need a way to get it into the design.
    I don't think there will be any ambiguity about the subject, there will be other elements in the tattoo as well. I already have a wild food sleeve (food and wine)
    Cheers

Advertisement