Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twisted Pepper Closing down - final weekend 14th, 15th and 16th August

Options
  • 11-08-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭

I only made it to this venue once or twice so it will be sad to see it go, message from the Twisted Pepper facebook page.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...we’re sad to say that this weekend will be the last ever weekend of The Twisted Pepper as a music venue. We are blown away by the messages of support we have received over the last 24 hours. It’s heartening to know that some of that hard work over the years had a positive effect on people’s lives. We expect to leave quietly, out the back door, no big fuss. Much like how we opened.
    It’s been an amazing 7 years of gigs, clubs, exhibitions, talks, comedy, workshops, screenings & Banter, all made possible by an incredible bunch of local & international folk who share the same passion as ourselves for showcasing their trade, but also by the many thousands of people who came through our doors week in week out to have fun.
    We feel we’ve achieved what we set out to do with The Twisted Pepper, and as always for us, once we get the itch to move on & develop something new, we gotta move on. We opened in 2008, probably the worst economic time to open any venue in Dublin. We’re closing in 2015, probably as good a time as any to remain open. Economic circumstances never effected why we opened, nor why we are closing. When you believe you’re doing something different and you’ve got the fire in your belly - you go for it. When you’ve done all you have set out to do, and you start to feel your repeating yourself and the passion goes, it’s over.
    54 Middle Abbey St will be refurbished with a new bar & food focus, mixed with another 5-10 random ideas that will inevitably ‘make no sense’. We will not be a restaurant, we have no idea where that rumour came from. Music will play a part too but it won’t be like it was before. We want to make things smaller, more intimate, more local, more creative… more fun. We want do things differently, but also in many ways return to the roots of where we started many moons ago in Wax. We’ll keep some fans, lose some fans, and hopefully gain some new ones. Maybe we’ll even regain some old ones.
    On that note, we’d love for you to come join us for the last weekend. We’ve pieced together a few nights squeezing in as many local crews & collectives who’ve help make the venue what it is since day one. We want to extend a huge thank you to everyone who made the Pepper what is was. The staff, the security, the promoters, the coffee nerds, the artists, the book readers, the record collectors, the musicians, the labels, the talkers & everyone who walked the walk, danced the dance, and played their part. To each and everyone of you, we are deeply indebted.
    If you have any special moments you’d like to share with us, email them to pepper@bodytonicmusic.com, and we’ll feature some of them in the venue on the screens this week, for our final shows in the venue. In many ways the philosophy behind our final weekend of lineups, is a nod to our new direction. It will be the worst of times, it will be the best of times...
    Big love & thank you all so very much
    The TP family xx."

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Such a shame it's closing, always had good nights out there!

According to stuff I read on Twitter, it'll be reopening in September.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Is it just a re branding?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Real shame, still preferred it to District 8 which seems to be first choice for booking big acts now. Had many skaggy nights in that basement :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

real pity, so many great nights there. I guess it was inevitable with the lads who ran it doing different things like MVP, The Bck Page, The Square Ball, The Big Grill, Beatyard becoming a standalone festival, and a few other bits and pieces.
    newer, bigger venues like Opium, Hangar and District 8, can hold double or treble the numbers that TP can, so can afford to pay DJs more as they'll sell more tickets too.
    lots of international DJs saying online how much they loved the place too.

sasta le wrote: »
    Is it just a re branding?
    no, when it opens up again it won't be a nightclub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

can anyone recommend similar clubs in Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 3.10 To Yuma

Always thought it was a kip but still a shame to see it go. I suppose its kip-iness was part of its charm

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Sounds like a re-brand to me! Dressed up in silly nostalgia!

This one could be turned into an Aldi for all I care!

Good riddance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I think they're planning to re-open it as a restaurant. They weren't too upfront about closing, either, I know someone who had to chase them to find out if it was true, and was left somewhat in the lurch regarding an event he had booked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Sounds like a re-brand to me! Dressed up in silly nostalgia!

This one could be turned into an Aldi for all I care!

Good riddance!
    Jeez man, what did it do to you to deserve all those exclamation marks? Are you even into your banging tunes?

I know a lot of people around my age will remember it very fondly. Found my way in there every second week between 2009 - 2012 and had some pretty memorable nights there. It was definitely my favourite club in Dublin and it pretty much held the fort for a while in terms of electronic after the POD venue closed.

• Advertisement

Jeez man, what did it do to you to deserve all those exclamation marks? Are you even into your banging tunes?

I know a lot of people around my age will remember it very fondly. Found my way in there every second week between 2009 - 2012 and had some pretty memorable nights there. It was definitely my favourite club in Dublin and it pretty much held the fort for a while in terms of electronic after the POD venue closed.

where is the new twisted pepper? lost society?

where is the new twisted pepper? lost society?
    :confused:
    there is no new twisted pepper. bodytonic own the lease on the premises, and by the sounds of it, will open a bar/restaurant there in a few months. the nightclub is gone for good.

:confused:
    there is no new twisted pepper. bodytonic own the lease on the premises, and by the sounds of it, will open a bar/restaurant there in a few months. the nightclub is gone for good.

I know, i mean where will the twisted pepper heads go now?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I know, i mean where will the twisted pepper heads go now?
    District 8 and Hangar seem to hold the bigger dance nights now. I've been off the scene for some time so I wouldn't be the foremost authority on this.

District 8 and Hangar seem to hold the bigger dance nights now. I've been off the scene for some time so I wouldn't be the foremost authority on this.

cheers man, will check them out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

My most vivid memory of that place was the toilets overflowing and "water" flowing through two floors into a collection of buckets and basins. Apparently someone had "thrown a lock" into one of the toilets. So tell me about this plan they have of serving food there... :-D

Toast wrote: »
    My most vivid memory of that place was the toilets overflowing and "water" flowing through two floors into a collection of buckets and basins. Apparently someone had "thrown a lock" into one of the toilets. So tell me about this plan they have of serving food there... :-D
    they've been serving food there for ages! :pac:

http://districtmagazine.ie/feature/the-twisted-pepper-a-legacy-of-electronic-music/
    Over the years there must have been some gig mess-ups and mishaps. Have you any hilarious stories to share?

The craziest night that stands out in my head wasn’t hilarious, but maybe it is looking back… We had Caspa playing, back when dubstep was good, in the basement.

We had sold heaps of pre-sales and about a half an hour before the doors opened the toilets upstairs in the loft started flooding. We went, ‘right we’re going to have to lose that room’ but then it started leaking down the stairs and into the café. Then one of the pipes burst in the basement corridor meaning we had to cordon off half the room. We had to go ahead because we had so many people outside and it cost an absolute fortune, which we couldn’t afford to lose at the time.

‘The toilets are broken so we gotta close!’

Thankfully the crowd on that night weren’t too fussy so it went on. Then the leaks started to get worse and worse so we cut the capacity at 300.

We then had no toilets at all in the venue. We had an emergency plumber in to try and fix it but we’re not allowed operate without toilets and people were running outside to pee in the street behind cars. It was getting quite mortifying.

I think Caspa must have done about five encores that night (despite being told ‘right you’ve got to stop now… we have to shut the show down’)

Eventually the plumber got it – a padlock and a mashed up plastic bottle were found down in the pipes and were blocking everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Haha I couldn't even remember what gig it was for. It was utter chaos. I think we left even before Caspa was on because the girlfriend was having none of it. I'm sure the restaurant will be fine but that image of filthy sewage water pouring out of the ceiling will be seared into my brain if I ever end up eating there.

Advertisement