Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revert to Windows 8 from 10

Options
  • 11-08-2015 9:53am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Quick question, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my Asus Vivotab (Atom z2760 processor), which has not gone well despite the verification succeeding on the tablet. Essentially Intel are not supporting that processor under Windows 10, and have left the graphics drivers in the lurch. Which means there's no brightness control, and the screen remains on when the tablet sleeps.

At this stage I believe my only option is to revert to 8.1. However, I attempted to do this through the settings menu in 10, and was informed that the system could not revert to 8.1 due to an error.

So is it possible to revert to 8.1 with an ISO/USB? Should the activation code be the same for both operating systems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Windows 10 uses a hardware activation method where your product key is actually not needed, once you have upgraded to Windows 10 at least once (and it says it's activated in the Win 10 System menu).

If it says it's activated, you can try do a clean install of Windows 10 (Skip product key entry screens).
    If that doesn't fix the issue for you, at least you can return to 8 now and upgrade later whenener drivers are updated.

Btw, I have found that drivers in 10 can be a bit hit & miss atm, and can sometimes install wrong & out-of-date ones.
    Maybe have a look for updated ones from the manufacturer instead to fix your issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moon54 wrote: »
    Windows 10 uses a hardware activation method where your product key is actually not needed, once you have upgraded to Windows 10 at least once (and it says it's activated in the Win 10 System menu).

If it says it's activated, you can try do a clean install of Windows 10 (Skip product key entry screens).
    If that doesn't fix the issue for you, at least you can return to 8 now and upgrade later whenener drivers are updated.

Btw, I have found that drivers in 10 can be a bit hit & miss atm, and can sometimes install wrong & out-of-date ones.
    Maybe have a look for updated ones from the manufacturer instead to fix your issue.

My issue is with clean installing 8.1, seeing that i have no activation code for 8.1, will it auto activate? My license in 10 is activated, but it's almost unusable at this stage so I need to revert.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

You will need your windows 8 product key.

I am not sure if you can obtain this from the product key used in your current install of Win 10.

They key should be available somewhere either on the tablet or on the packaging that came with your tablet.

Once you do have it you can create installation media on a usb here using the official microsoft tool http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Unfortunately, the not so useful advice is that if you had done this on Win 8 before you did the upgrade, it would have picked up your product key automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

My issue is with clean installing 8.1, seeing that i have no activation code for 8.1, will it auto activate? My license in 10 is activated, but it's almost unusable at this stage so I need to revert.

How are you planning to clean install Win8? If you use the restore disks that you made when you got the machine, or use the factory restore partition, the system should reactivate itself without prompting for a key - the Windows key is part of the system BIOS. That's why Windows 8 machines don't come with COA stickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

As others have stated the Windows 8/8.1 key is in the bios. You could try the methods here to retrieve that key http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios

I've done a few fresh installs of windows 8.1 on systems where I had use a "generic installation key" during the installation process and then used the key embedded in the bios to activate it. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx

For what it's worth I'd try the windows 8.1 drivers on you windows 10 installation. I've a amd e350 based HTPC and the Windows 10 drivers didn't work correctly I reverted to window 8.1 drivers and all was good. However windows update auto updates the drivers without giving you the option not to update...... The ability to deselect updates in windows update has been removed in windows 10.

I had to disable the automatic windows update for drivers using the method here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/how-to-block-automatic-reinstall-of-a-driver-or/bff07224-4ce2-4b42-ab29-68c3a305d730?auth=1

So I had to remove the windows 10 drivers, install the windows 8.1, run the trouble shooter in the link above to block windows from update to the broken windows 10 drivers..... all is good now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    As others have stated the Windows 8/8.1 key is in the bios. You could try the methods here to retrieve that key http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios

I've done a few fresh installs of windows 8.1 on systems where I had use a "generic installation key" during the installation process and then used the key embedded in the bios to activate it. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx

For what it's worth I'd try the windows 8.1 drivers on you windows 10 installation. I've a amd e350 based HTPC and the Windows 10 drivers didn't work correctly I reverted to window 8.1 drivers and all was good. However windows update auto updates the drivers without giving you the option not to update...... The ability to deselect updates in windows update has been removed in windows 10.

I had to disable the automatic windows update for drivers using the method here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/how-to-block-automatic-reinstall-of-a-driver-or/bff07224-4ce2-4b42-ab29-68c3a305d730?auth=1

So I had to remove the windows 10 drivers, install the windows 8.1, run the trouble shooter in the link above to block windows from update to the broken windows 10 drivers..... all is good now

The drivers have verification to only allow installation on 8/8.1, I may attempt editing the driver and jumping through hoops to install unsigned drivers to the machine. It could be a risky move, but might be a bit of craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Aye Alan, don't give up. Wipe and install W10 fresh from an iso USB would be my first attempt. Should auto activate. If drivers are still an issue, force different versions, even try W7 ones :D

I've been running and installing pre RTM and RTM flavours of W10 for nearly a year now on all sorts of ancient and cheap hardware. 100% succesfull but sometimes with a lot of trouble :D

Praise the lord. Thank you windows update! Just noticed an update for a GMA driver which seems to have fixed the issue. Maybe me being lazy does pay off sometimes! I now have my screen brightness back, and the machine seems to sleep now too. I'll need to fully test this evening! Thanks for all the advice guys!

Praise the lord. Thank you windows update! Just noticed an update for a GMA driver which seems to have fixed the issue. Maybe me being lazy does pay off sometimes! I now have my screen brightness back, and the machine seems to sleep now too. I'll need to fully test this evening! Thanks for all the advice guys!

So, I got to use my tablet all evening yesterday and it is a lot better. Being able to reduce the screen brightness and having a system that isn't going to randomly crash is great!

But there's a couple of issues, sound/mic doesn't work, there is no battery icon (the system seems to think it is not on a battery at all) and the location service doesn't work (this tablet has a GPS chip).

So all in all, I may have to reinstall it all again anyway! But at least I know there is a graphics driver that will work!

Advertisement