Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New suit required for once-yearly wearage

Options
  • 11-08-2015 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

So I'm looking for a new suit and given that I wear one about once a year I'm thinking there's no need to go crazy price wise. Can anyone recommend a good quality one for around the 200 euro mark in Dublin?

I was in the Clerys clerynce store on Parnell street recently and they have some cheap ones but I tried on a couple and I'm really not sure about the quality and they were a slightly funny shape, just not fitting well. The brand name was Marco something and some other one, maybe Roberto Capelli or something like that.

I was also in Dunnes on Henry street looking for something else and I saw they have 'New Haven' brand ones. I quickly tried on a jacket for the craic and it wasn't a bad fit, plus the material seemed quite decent also. There was only 2 options though dark blue and a grey which was a bit on the shiny side for my liking.

I also saw an online offer somewhere for 'Suits You' but again I don't know what their quality might be like.

Given I know absolutely nothing about suits or how to spot good or bad quality I'd appreciate some feedback:

- Are the above Clerys suits cheap and nasty?
    - Are Dunnes 'New Haven' brand ones any good?
    - Are 'Suits You' any good?
    - Can anyone recommend another decent brand / shop / outlet?

TIA
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Try Marks and Spencers. Their suits are great and their sale started today so you might benefit from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'd second the M&S suggestion, their suits are fantastic for the price.

I'd recommend a navy if you're only going to buy 1 suit. You can wear it for weddings and funerals as needed. Most M&S's have an option to send the suit to their local tailoring place to get it to fit you really well- or just bring it yourself. I'd recommend sticking in €50 to your budget for small alterations which will make a suit you've spent €150 on look like you've spend €500 on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Avoid "washable" suits, or suits with polyester.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Marks and Spencer suits are good quality and tend to last well without appearing dated. I second the suggestion of navy as you really can wear it for all occasions.

Advertisement