Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Embarassing Situation? What to do?

Options
  • 10-08-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi All,

Would appreciate a bit of advice on this issue I'm having.Now one person I've mentioned this to have said I'm reading a bit much into it but I'd like an unbiased third party opinion

Cousin's 18th birthday is on at the weekend.
    All her friends are going.
    Now the issue is that a few years ago over the summer my cousins friend and I were chatting on Facebook for weeks then all of a sudden she stopped speaking to me, without giving a single reason. Nothing happened. But lets just say, if you saw our conversations you would have thought we were going out. Now this was 4 or 5 summers ago at this stage. Now I was in my mid teens so I am aware how insignificant that is also.

Also, recently I was briefly speaking to another friend of hers that I happened to match with on Tinder (please excuse the head shakes :P) and after a few days she also stopped speaking to me.

MY ISSUE: I am a bit....not going to lie...nervous and embarrassed about going to this party saturday night in case those two girls are there.

Am I reading too much into this?
    How should act if I do decide to go?

Really appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I think the person you mentioned it to is right, you are reading too much into this.

Contact dried up for any and no reason, so that is a positive in itself in that there wasn't some drama to go with it; it's nothing to be embarrassed about if when chatting with someone it all just stops, general every day life can sometimes just get in the way of getting back to someone without any meaning behind it or malice or offence intended. It happens all the time, I get busy and forget to get back to someone or just don't get the chance. It doesn't necessarily mean anything bad.

Go to the party, if those girls are there, just be your usual self. It's no big deal. If they're not there, that's no big deal either. Don't even worry about them being there or not being there, you're there to enjoy a party, with your cousin, have a laugh, meet people, have fun and if they're there, they're there and if they're not, they're not. No big deal. There's really nothing to be embarrassed about at all and no reason why you shouldn't go and no reason why you should feel awkward or nervous and embarrassed in seeing them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Sorry OP, it's just one of those things you learn when you're growing up. You sometimes end up having to put yourself in awkward situations - or situations you think are awkward...

Go to the party and act like there was never any "issue" with either of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

There's nothing to be embarrassed about OP! You chatted with girls, that's all. Even if you went out with both of them, there'd still be nothing to be embarrassed about.

What to do? - Stop scrutinising the situation. You're going to a party that will have more than you, your cousin and the two girls at it. You've done nothing wrong or nothing to feel awkward about (unless you're hiding something from us?) and you mightn't even meet the 2 at the party...you'll surely see them but mightn't get a chance to chat. Now go practice your dance moves. And stuff a pair of socks down the front of your pants.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If anything, its them that should be embarrassed at dropping contact with you like that - its a bit rude. You, on the other hand, did nothing wrong.

Go, enjoy the event, and if you bump into them be nice and polite but don't get into small talk. Exchange bland pleasantries the same way you would if you bumped into the woman working in your local Centra on a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 dara_con

Appreciate all the replies.

I'll take everything on board. I definitely feel less nervy now that's for sure!

Advertisement