Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016!

Options
  • 10-08-2015 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hey! so i will be doing my leaving cert this school year (2015/16) and was hoping to get any pieces of advice from people who have done the set of exams in the past; how much time should i allocate to studying during the year, any tips for certain subjects and things like that :)
    the subjects im taking are English, Irish, Maths, German, Home Economics, Geography and Biology - all higher level

feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

English - learn quotations from texts well, make sure you understand how to answer the comp. study question, don't bank on Yeats to 100% come up :P, learn some nice expressions for the section A and find which writing style suits you best.

Irish - oral practice x10000000.... , you cannot compromise on it, know how to say the poems inside out, learn key essay phrases, know the poetry and prose to a high level

Biology - there really are no shortcuts - go over everything! If you have a weak teacher maybe get a grind or work away yourself. What I did was I got really big blank sheets and I assigned one page per chapter. I more or less condensed all I needed to know into one sheet which worked a treat. Past papers are also a great resource!

Didn't do any of the other subjects - hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

gonna make a list like the person before me beacause why not (coming from an angsty student awaiting results so i apologise for the possible exaggeration)

irish - listen to rnag watch tg4 its actually not that hard (definitely biased because im from a gaeltacht), for listening exam try learn a few place names in irish just common ones always thought that was handy, if learning essays is what your teacher does learn them blah blah

english - easiest to procrastinate for sure, know all your texts inside out, quotes!!!! memorise every possible answer you can, and write as many prep answers for your teacher as you can. theres this book by folens called english key notes, get it.

maths - coming from someone who dropped to pass, GET HONOURS GRINDS NOW BEFORE THE SUMMER ENDS GET THEM GET THEM GET THEM DONT DROP DONT DO IT DONT DO IT

german (i did french but same should apply) - listen listen listen, loads of decent apps. learn every possible essay you can. speak to yourself all the time.

biology - always thought it was good to relate topics to your own life. like if you were doing digestive system think about it when you eat. go for a walk and look at plants. do loads of exam papers as questions are very repetitive. what i found handy was re testing myself on photosynthesis and respiration often

geography - practise questions and strategise. learn your long questions off by heart. do bulletpoints of srps for every question you can, and always remember that you can bull**** by bringing in your own knowledge if you feel like youre a few points short.

and good luck, im so glad its over for me fml

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

I've got super notes on geography and biology. Both these subjects are learn learn learn and require concise notes. My friends were studying a week before the exams in geography from our 4 full hard backs of notes which is idiotic. My notes have condensed the course into 21 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aragog

Thanks everyone! So nervous what the year will hold but ive stayed on top of my work in fifth year so i hope that will stand with me :) ps best of luck with your results!^^

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

aragog wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! So nervous what the year will hold but ive stayed on top of my work in fifth year so i hope that will stand with me :) ps best of luck with your results!^^
    Don't be nervous at all. Hard work pays off. If you want any of my notes give me a shout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

maybe my big speech was a bit premature.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aragog

tr0llface wrote: »
    maybe my big speech was a bit premature.....

Not at all. You were really helpful, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    I've got super notes on geography and biology. Both these subjects are learn learn learn and require concise notes. My friends were studying a week before the exams in geography from our 4 full hard backs of notes which is idiotic. My notes have condensed the course into 21 pages

Going into 6th year too - I'm pretty nervous about biology. Failed it in the summer exams, I don't get on with my teacher and she has a problem with me haha. Just wondering have you notes for biology? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    Don't be nervous at all. Hard work pays off. If you want any of my notes give me a shout

Could you please send me some notes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Best piece of advice - learn to make your own notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 gerry_fifi007

Going into 6th year too - I'm pretty nervous about biology. Failed it in the summer exams, I don't get on with my teacher and she has a problem with me haha. Just wondering have you notes for biology? Thanks

I relied greatly on biology notes from a website called 'The Physics Teacher'. He has every chapter done separately with exam questions and answers at the end of each.
    Rapid Revision Biology is also amazing although it's out of print but I would advise looking for a second hand copy of it.

I relied greatly on biology notes from a website called 'The Physics Teacher'. He has every chapter done separately with exam questions and answers at the end of each.
    Rapid Revision Biology is also amazing although it's out of print but I would advise looking for a second hand copy of it.

Hey thanks for that. Just looked at it though and no biology lc just jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

Hey thanks for that. Just looked at it though and no biology lc just jc

Here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie1996

The Physics Teacher website is super handy too for past papers! You can eg them in one click as opposed to the whole rigmarole with examinations.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gerry_fifi007

I would definitely recommend just repeatedly doing biology exam papers as you will begin to see occurrence or similarity of questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Hey guys/gals

Hope you can provide some light on this dilemma I have on my hands!

Academic Background: BSc Media from DCU

28 year old here considering going back to repeat my LC so I can get into a undergrad Physiotherapy programme in the UK, NHS fund the Physio programmes over there.

So, I didn't do particularly well on my first try of the LC back when I was 17, getting in the region of 270 points. However, I didn't do any study for it and my situation then is obviously totally different to what it is now. I'll need to repeat at least five subjects, perhaps six, all at Higher Level with at least 3 A's and 2 B's. If I was to do it full-time I would be doing it in Plunkett's College.

I am on the fence as to what to do. I am also considering doing a Pre-Uni Science course this year as the same time, in which you learn Physics, Bio, Chemistry and Maths. Then taking the LC as an external candidate in June. Do you guys think that's just too much work?

Should I just focus on one and forget the other? Although different paths, both somewhat linked hence why I am considering doing them in conjunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

For German I'd recommend starting the duolingo course online, it's free and somewhat fun and it will bring up your standard.

For English, make everything you write personal. For example, "The poem X intrigued and enthralled me as I can apply it to my own life...."

For Irish, put 90% of your efforts into the oral, the paper 1 composition, the studied text and the aural. The poetry and the prose can be left to the wayside imo as long as you have a few nice phrases for each one. The poetry and prose are a sinkhole of time and energy and in the grand scheme of the marking scheme they are worth peanuts. PEANUTS.

Good luck and don't worry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Remember, the source for possible questions is the syllabus, not previous exam papers or text books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I don't agree.
    The whole course is worth learning well.
    The poetry and pros can make a difference in a sub grade which could determine what course you get.

Consonata wrote: »

Thank you :)

• Advertisement

Ellie1996 wrote: »
    The Physics Teacher website is super handy too for past papers! You can eg them in one click as opposed to the whole rigmarole with examinations.ie!

Hey, sent you pm not sure if you got it! Thanms

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie1996

Hey, sent you pm not sure if you got it! Thanms

I'm trying to message you but it says I haven't filled anything in -_- sorry abit that, I meant to say about €9 or €10 if that's okay!

Ellie1996 wrote: »
    I'm trying to message you but it says I haven't filled anything in -_- sorry abit that, I meant to say about €9 or €10 if that's okay!

Yeah it said that for me, just select like all the boxes and just type a letter in each, I don't know how much you said because its appearing up as like ÃAÆAã

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mr Murphy

Does anybody have information on taking up Classical studies now with 6 months to the leaving cert and self teaching, or what sections are the easiest to do. Even good books to get thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nellers8080

Hi All, was wondering if anyone had a copy of the DEB Mock Irish Papers HL that they could email me? Or even tell me what the questions were for An Gnathrud/ Mo Ghra-Sa and An Triail? Appreciate any help!

Advertisement