Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time in lieu

Options
  • 10-08-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I assume there is nothing improper about large global companies expecting you to work days for time in lieu? So if I work today, I get a day off to make up for it. It's the norm for companies to do this for over time I assume?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dropbox wrote: »
    I assume there is nothing improper about large global companies expecting you to work days for time in lieu? So if I work today, I get a day off to make up for it. It's the norm for companies to do this for over time I assume?

Can be yes.

A lot of staff like it as you don't pay tax on it like you do on overtime

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Ask for their policy on time-in-lieu...my company has none so I don't work any extra for them. I would if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Going to just post here as it's related to time in lieu. Anyone ever had HR/manager tell them they're working too much hours and to do less? Really confused me today

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

titan18 wrote: »
    Going to just post here as it's related to time in lieu. Anyone ever had HR/manager tell them they're working too much hours and to do less? Really confused me today

You need to give a little more detail

What hours are you contracted to work?
    How many hours have you been doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Not unusual for HR to monitor overtime and/or long hours.

There are many reasons why they might be concerned, from health and safety, to the inability of an employee to get their job done in that allocated hours, poor workload management by a manager, workaholics, etc.

There is a duty of care element.

If HR have spoken to you they will probably have spoken to you manager also.

More detail required for better feedback :-)
    Are you hourly + OT for extra hours or Salaried?
    How many hours are we talking here, 40-60 or 80+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I think there are eu regulations where you are not supposed to work more than 48 hours per week over a 3 month period.

I'm salaried so don't get overtime just time to take on other days. I'd work about 45 mins to over an hour extra every day, so not like its 60+hours, looking at 5 extra hours a week on average

I'm down for 38.75 hours a week in my contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The cynic in me would think that HR are just trying to protect the employer and stymie any potential action taken on foot of the Organisation of Working a Time Act and/or any occupational health issues that might arise - in other words if anything untoward were to happen that was attributable to excessive working hours they want to be able to say "well, we warned him."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm salaried so don't get overtime just time to take on other days. I'd work about 45 mins to over an hour extra every day, so not like its 60+hours, looking at 5 extra hours a week on average

I'm down for 38.75 hours a week in my contract

I'd guess that they don't want you building up a lot of owed time off. 5 hours a week extra is a lot to be doing on a regular basis. You're building up an extra 2.5 days holidays a month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

don't get overtime just time to take on other days.

How are you taking that time? Are you taking additional days off or are you starting later/finishing earlier on some days.

Either way have the potential to be a problem for your employer.

If you accrue 5 hours per week as time in lieu, you're talking about an additional 3 days off per month or an almost permanent state of self-imposed flexi-time. Either way it wouldn't be unreasonable for your employer to tell you they'd rather you did your work in normal working hours as much as possible.

• Advertisement

I never intend taking that much off time (barely use my holidays as it is). Only way I'd use any of it bar a day every now and again would be a family death or getting seriously sick

All they'd do is stop me doing extra work (which is there)

Advertisement