Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education

Options
  • 10-08-2015 7:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how long on average roughly it takes for the welfare office to respond to a back to education claim or do they wait until you start your course?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lobster123

I haven't heard back from them yet anyway. Found a letter my boyfriend got from them last year and he didn't get approved until 30th Sept. He also had to go for an interview with them while other people in his class didn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 PaulRyan17

Yeah I was chatting to them on the phone a couple of days ago and they said you be a few weeks into college until you find out. So slow to do anything. Never heard of anyone going for an interview, that's a serious pain.

So do you sign off social welfare the week before and then just wait?

No you have to stay on jobseekers and you still have to sign on until they switch you over, which can be a problem if you have to go to classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Lobster123 wrote: »
    No you have to stay on jobseekers and you still have to sign on until they switch you over, which can be a problem if you have to go to classes.

Seriously? But at least you don't go weeks without income

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 PaulRyan17

So like do you have to go to the post office every wednesday?

• Advertisement

Yep until they switch you over which hopefully will only be a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Lobster123 wrote: »
    Yep until they switch you over which hopefully will only be a couple of weeks.
    Is it not against the law to be on Jobseekers while attending education?

Surely the logical thing for 'them' to do is stop your J/A payment and if approved for BTEA give the backpay for the week(s) you were attending education. If rejected for BTEA give backpay for the week(s) you wasted going to college.

If rejected for BTEA and you still want to do the college course I'm assuming we're in our own financially.

If you have applied for BTEA and are waiting to hear from them then it's not against the law however you are not allowed to receive JA if you are refused BTEA and continue attending college.
    Another commenter with the same experience...
    ShaShaBear wrote: »
    When I was on it, I simply had to collect in the Post Office until one week it wasn't there and then on the Thursday it was in my bank. When I was in my final year, I was living in a different county to the college I attended and was commuting - Explained to them that it would be physically impossible for me to collect a payment in the PO and attend college as there is only one bus daily at 8am, and they paid me into the bank the following few weeks and let the bank payment switch to BTEA. They're usually very good and don't leave you stuck, at least with my experience with it over four years, including a repeat year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Louises198

Hey ak if the back to education allowance is paid trough a back week or do you get paid the fist week of the course or do you get paid the next week? And I've been told off loads of people that you get a €300 bonus but reading online that you get it and also reading loads saying you don't get the bouns any more is that true? Has anybody got the btea last year that could help me out? And I get paid Monday's in the post office will I get a full weeks payment or just how many days payment will I get I start college on Tuesday the 8 of September tia

Advertisement