Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert insert stove to open fireplace

Options
  • 10-08-2015 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I know a popular query is converting an open fireplace to a stove, but i've a different query;
    I have a sitting room that has an insert stove some 2 feet up on a flat wall and would be interested in converting it into a traditional open fireplace at ground level by means of i guess building a fire breast in front and feeding the smoke into the existing chimney used by the stove. Is such a task possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kevinkmb36

have you any pics??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

I know a popular query is converting an open fireplace to a stove, but i've a different query;
    I have a sitting room that has an insert stove some 2 feet up on a flat wall and would be interested in converting it into a traditional open fireplace at ground level by means of i guess building a fire breast in front and feeding the smoke into the existing chimney used by the stove. Is such a task possible?

why? the efficiency of a stove is aprox 70% where as the efficiency of an open fire place is 15% , ie 85% of the heat from what ever you burn goes straight up the chimney of an open fire. and when not lit a fire place acts like a passive stack ventilation,ie. the passage of wind over the chimney pulls warm air out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 classic_master

kevinkmb36 wrote: »
    have you any pics??

Hi Kevin, i have photos but its just a standard insert stove, must be about 2 foot up from ground and about 600mm wide and about the same high. What you want to see with it? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13 classic_master

dathi wrote: »
    why? the efficiency of a stove is aprox 70% where as the efficiency of an open fire place is 15% , ie 85% of the heat from what ever you burn goes straight up the chimney of an open fire. and when not lit a fire place acts like a passive stack ventilation,ie. the passage of wind over the chimney pulls warm air out of the house.

You've made good points, thanks for that. The stove is damaged by water, chimney leak since fixed, so the least we would need to do is replace it, but i think the plaster around stove is not suitable, could be hazardous.
    The room really could do with shelving on either side of fireplace, so to avoid the shelving being a hazard, we would build a fake fire breast. Now begs the question what to put in this fake fire breast:
    1). standard fire - not efficient, probably not.
    2). open convector fire - maybe, can i connect it to chimney behind it?
    3). Install a gas fireplace either as connected flue? or balanced flue.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Cheers

Advertisement