Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DRIVEWAY ENTRANCE GATES

Options
  • 10-08-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

So ive decided on a set of wooden entrance gates for my house.Im just looking for a bit of advice.I recently got a PDM cresoted 4 rail and post fence put up which ends with 2 big posts for the gates to hang on to.I will be also getting them automated.Im trying to find out what is the best quality wood for outside entrance gates,im assuming its one of the hardwoods,iroko,teak ,mahogony.Which is the best,and also any recommendations for wooden gate manufacturers in Leinster region,im in Meath.The type of gate i would like to get is similar to below link.Also is underground automation better than the leaf overground kits for wooden gates or does it matter.there is a a very slight slope into the driveway on a stone driveway.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=iroko+wooden+gates&safe=off&biw=1117&bih=726&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIyuWs-8aexwIVx4wsCh1MvQJz#imgrc=47m8grCE2Ng2ZM%3A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If they open in then allow for the slope, my neighbours guy didn't :(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Has to be Iroko. Teak is too expensive and mahogany is not durable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

thanks for that.iroko it is so.any recommendations for good wooden gates suppliers in leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

Hi Baz, did you find someone?? I'm in same neck of the woods as you (pardon any pun!). Spoke to a highly recommended joiner about same recently, he doesn't do roiko though, teak, red deal and mahogany only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

padjo5 wrote: »
    Hi Baz, did you find someone?? I'm in same neck of the woods as you (pardon any pun!). Spoke to a highly recommended joiner about same recently, he doesn't do roiko though, teak, red deal and mahogany only.

I doubt if anyone is making gates out of genuine teak or mahogany, neither have been been freely available for years , iroko is the teak substitute and is good outdoors, sapele is the most common mahogany substitute but its not suitable for outdoor use , red deal is not suitable for outdoor use either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

I doubt if anyone is making gates out of genuine teak or mahogany, neither have been been freely available for years , iroko is the teak substitute and is good outdoors, sapele is the most common mahogany substitute but its not suitable for outdoor use , red deal is not suitable for outdoor use either

Thanks. Are you suggesting that this guy, who has been operating for the past 30 years, is lying about the wood he is using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Thanks. Are you suggesting that this guy, who has been operating for the past 30 years, is lying about the wood he is using?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Yes on that too. I personally haven't used real teak for nearly 18 years. Cedar while very soft may be suitable as your posts aren't exactly ideal to hang a heavy set of iroko gates off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Yes aswell or else he just doesn't know. Or he might believe there is no point I. Trying to explain the difference.

Having said that I could make a set of gates if you would pm me thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

In the interest of fairness.

We dont want to start calling anyone a liar on this thread please, as this chap is unknown to us all
    and is not here to offer his opinions as to what he is, or isn't using to make his products. Its unfair.

And then to start offering to make these gates, come on now, thats just not cricket chaps:)

Play fair now, please:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Kadman.

I completly understand the liar part and i tend to agree with you that it isn't fair.

Haven said that he asked for gate manufactures in the Leinster area which I am so why is it not cricket to put myself forward. I truely believe in my product and ability to do the work and know exactly what to and not to use and do. So I dont see the harm in putting myself forward to help the op out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You agreed with a quote suggesting he was a liar.

And then offering to do the work that was the part thats not cricket.
    Feel free to pm the op and offer your services, no problem with that at all.

Anyway, its not up for discussion, we dont know whether he is or isn,t lying.

I wont be discussing it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

No still havent rang around to get quotes ,mine are 14 feer wide and about

Advertisement