Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY alarm installation, illegal or not?

Options
  • 10-08-2015 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking at getting an alarm installed, hopefully a hybrid as the house is prewired but I'd like to be able to fit additional shock sensors etc.
    My real question is on the legality of installing an alarm as a DIY. I know that it is an offence for unlicensed installers to fit alarms for others but does that mean you can't fit one for yourself?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

landcrzr wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I'm looking at getting an alarm installed, hopefully a hybrid as the house is prewired but I'd like to be able to fit additional shock sensors etc.
    My real question is on the legality of installing an alarm as a DIY. I know that it is an offence for unlicensed installers to fit alarms for others but does that mean you can't fit one for yourself?

Of course you can fit one yourself. Just be considerate if using an external bell. There's no need for them to be ringing for long durations especially if the alarm is contacting your phone or your neighbours phone. Its an offence to pay someone to fit your alarm for you.... They can do it for free

But why not get a professional in to install it ? ?
    Costwise your not going to save very much. If you run into trouble installing it you won't be able to get help from manufactures.
    Plenty if companies have offers going at the moment with 7 or 8 sensor wireless alarms. You don't need a load of sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Of course you can fit one yourself. Just be considerate if using an external bell. There's no need for them to be ringing for long durations especially if the alarm is contacting your phone or your neighbours phone. Its an offence to pay someone to fit your alarm for you.... They can do it for free

But why not get a professional in to install it ? ?
    Costwise your not going to save very much. If you run into trouble installing it you won't be able to get help from manufactures.
    Plenty if companies have offers going at the moment with 7 or 8 sensor wireless alarms. You don't need a load of sensors.

To be honest, I'm just scoping out what I can or cannot do. I hope to get one of the better systems installed. I've read a few threads here on the topic.
    On the DIY front, I'm handy enough and have done plenty of electrical work in the past, house is prewired already and all is accessible so DIY is what immediately sprang to mind.
    I will get a few quotes once I'm settled on the system though and if there's not a whole lot in it, then definitely, I'll get a professional on board.

Advertisement