Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial Tax & Insurance

Options
  • 09-08-2015 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just wondering,, if i was to buy a Subaru Forester STI, could i have it insured and taxed commercially? or is there some requirements it has to meet etc...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Eoin3629 wrote: »
    Just wondering,, if i was to buy a Subaru Forester STI, could i have it insured and taxed commercially? or is there some requirements it has to meet etc...

It has to be converted to a commercial first by an NSAI approved engineer. Then you change the class of it though the tax office as long as it meets the criteria.

Then you just have to satisfy the insurance company that a commercial is warranted, they usually ask for you profession to justify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eoin3629

converted to what exactly? too much hassle for somethin that might not work then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

converted to what exactly? too much hassle for somethin that might not work then?

It has to be converted to a commercial vehicle as per Revenues guidelines to qualify for commercial tax i.e. rear seats removed, rear seat belt harnesses removed, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What Bazz says below, you didnt really think you could just buy a car and say its commercial, did you?
    bazz26 wrote: »
    It has to be converted to a commercial vehicle as per Revenues guidelines to qualify for commercial tax i.e. rear seats removed, rear seat belt harnesses removed, etc.

Not exactly, lol just thought seen as I need a jeep for work that it could be classed as commercial, hit two birds with one stone kinda thing, don't nessesarily need something commercial like but I do need space for equipment etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it's already classed as a passenger vehicle then it would need to be converted to a commercial using Revenue's guidelines. Even at that it's getting harder to tax them commercially these days unless you can prove it's being used in line with a business.

I see, no that makes sense, cheers for reply bazz, worth an ask 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

The rules have changed, again, lately regarding crew cabs. Check it out because it may well meet the new Crewcab criteria

Advertisement