Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs after graduation

Options
  • 09-08-2015 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im just wondering what is likely to happen after graduating with a Degree in Software Development in Waterford. Is it just a matter of getting the CV out to agencies and seeing what happens?

I keep hearing that the jobs industry is strong but nothing seems to show up when searching for Software Graduate jobs in the Waterford Area. Im not properly looking as i've not graduated yet but just looking ahead.

Are there actually any jobs around the South East? Would there be jobs that aren't advertised that would go through agencies? Will i have to move to Cork or Dublin etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Either move or throw your CVs into every business in the Arclabs in Carriganore (Basically a hub for IT companies in Waterford). There are a few IT places dotted around Waterford city too, buy the Arclabs is your best bet.

It might be a bit too late to get into the TSSG now, but give it a shot anyway. And whatever you do, don't stop upskilling/training, no matter how long it takes you to find a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

NearForm, Red Hat and Sun Life were all hiring recently, not sure if they still are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

...I'm not properly looking as I've not graduated yet but just looking ahead.....

You haven't graduated yet, so unless your course requires a Work Placement or internship, I would advice you to look for one.
    ...Are there actually any jobs around the South East? Would there be jobs that aren't advertised that would go through agencies? Will i have to move to Cork or Dublin etc?

Jobs in the South East, Waterford, Wexford, Carlow or Kilkenny, I would imagine are few and far between. However, you are suitably located between Dublin and Cork. You've got the likes of McAfee, EMC, IBM, Apple and Intel in Cork, while Dublin would have a blast of other Multinationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Itzy wrote: »
    You haven't graduated yet, so unless your course requires a Work Placement or internship, I would advice you to look for one.

Jobs in the South East, Waterford, Wexford, Carlow or Kilkenny, I would imagine are few and far between. However, you are suitably located between Dublin and Cork. You've got the likes of McAfee, EMC, IBM, Apple and Intel in Cork, while Dublin would have a blast of other Multinationals.

Agree with this, just to add: if it is your goal to work in Waterford, there are certainly options, but you may need to work in Dublin or Cork for a year or two first. The unfortunate truth is that the better companies in Waterford seem to prefer hiring people with a bit of experience. I worked for a multi-national in Dublin for a year before moving back, the difference in the responses I got after the year compared to those after just finishing were significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

If you are just going into 4th year, then the Career's office of the College should/will be in to talk to your course giving a breakdown about places where the graduates from your course usually get work.

What course are you studying & when are you graduating?

• Advertisement
Advertisement