Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions?

Options
  • 07-08-2015 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I have a couple of weeks off work and I was thinking of going to Glenveagh National Park maybe tomorrow to see Golden Eagles! Has anyone been, what's it like, seen eagles or other birds of prey or am I just wasting my time?
    Thanks, Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

If you have never seen bop before I would recommend that you start with something more widespread, like buzzards (I always see them in Lucan and Swords, not sure if you are in the area though), or even better, that you join a BirdWatch Ireland outing. I can almost guaranteed that you will see bop.

I have never gone looking for Golden Eagles myself but I toy with the idea of going to see them or white tail eagles often.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭friedcircuits

gzoladz wrote: »
    If you have never seen bop before I would recommend that you start with something more widespread, like buzzards (I always see them in Lucan and Swords, not sure if you are in the area though), or even better, that you join a BirdWatch Ireland outing. I can almost guaranteed that you will see bop.

I have never gone looking for Golden Eagles myself but I toy with the idea of going to see them or white tail eagles often.

I've seen Buzzards allright, I'm in Sligo and see them quite a bit and sparrowhawk and kestral are widespread. Also seen WTE. So golden is due a sighting!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

While there are Golden Eagles there, I get the feeling you'd have your work cut out for you if you're hoping to see one...

That being said, its meant to be a lovely area so it wouldn't be a wasted trip in that sense, but I'd go with the attitude that "I'll go to Glenveagh and I might see a Golden Eagle if I'm lucky"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

While there are Golden Eagles there, I get the feeling you'd have your work cut out for you if you're hoping to see one...

That being said, its meant to be a lovely area so it wouldn't be a wasted trip in that sense, but I'd go with the attitude that "I'll go to Glenveagh and I might see a Golden Eagle if I'm lucky"

What about the white take eagles in Mountshannon? They even promote a viewing point to one of the islands. Do you think chances to see one are higher there?

I am planning to go in October.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

gzoladz wrote: »
    What about the white take eagles in Mountshannon? They even promote a viewing point to one of the islands. Do you think chances to see one are higher there?

I am planning to go in October.

Great chance of seeing WTSE's in Mountshannon from late March to late August I'd say - outside that period I'm not as certain. I think they still hang around Lough Derg during that period, but since its a good bit outside the breeding season they aren't 'tied' to the nest site and so mightn't be at Mountshannon. Worth getting in touch with the Mountshannon Sea Eagles Facebook page, or even email Allan Mee who oversees the the project to see where might be a decent spot to see them at that time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭friedcircuits

Hey all,
    Went with this thought OYE actually read the comment in the park lol. Beautiful spot no doubt, took photos etc unfortunately did not see a Golden. I will see one somewhere! All in all lovely place (2 and half hour one way for me) but very well worth it. If it was on my doorstep I would certainly be there every weekend.

gzoladz- I have seen WTE's absolutely beautiful birds.

Advertisement