Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Season-what's your 'New Years Resolution?'

Options
  • 07-08-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

So we all go 'over the top' tomorrow;)...what will you do/avoid doing this year to improve your ranking?

For me it will be to take less points hits through transfers.Think I had almost 50 Transfers last season,some definitely gained me pts shorterm but lets just say some didnt!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I always just aim for top 10k that way you are giving yourself a good platform and if you get a bit of luck at the right times who knows where you can end up. FPL is a little bit boring just be sensible and let others make the mistakes to allow you to move up the rankings right now am a lot more interested in UFPL where we are still trying to figure out what the right approach is!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

"Stick to the plan"...

...as far as possible. I do better when I have a plan over the next few weeks. However late injuries and my responses to them have often scuppered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Form over Fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Rikand wrote: »
    Form over Fixtures

This. Still can't believe Pelle over Kane on the Jan WC :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Rikand wrote: »
    Form over Fixtures

As in go with the player 'in form' where possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

This. Still can't believe Pelle over Kane on the Jan WC :o

Ugh. you just ruined my day with the memory of getting Pelle and A. Johnson in my wildcard! Made so much sense at the time, but looking back was so stupid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Way way less -4 this season. Big fault of mine tbh.

Another vote for form over fixtures as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

As in go with the player 'in form' where possible?

Always

Even if he's got Man united/arsenal/chelsea in his next 3 games.

He's infinitely better than the guy who hasn't scored a goal in 18 months with

Bournemouth/Villa/Norwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I didn't play last year so I'm rusty. I had one very good season a few years back but most of my seasons have been poor. I'm Newcastle basically. :pac:

I'm hoping for just a solid enough season. Top 10k seems like a good target to have. Much like a few years ago I'm relying a lot on tips and advice from people on here so keep up the good work, folks.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Second half of the season always wait as late as possible for team news, rearranged fixtures, etc. Team value isn't as important and that kneejerk transfer for the perfect amount isn't worth it.
    Austin and Puncheon to Costa and Mane day before QPR DGW was announced. I got nothing out of Mane and a Costa(c) one pointer when Austin got over 20 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Never sign eriksen again
    Never sign lukaku again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

to win the feckin thing :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Yeah, I need to take less -4 (and the odd -8) hits this year; I also need to not persevere with players who aren't doing their thang - I held on to Yaya much longer than I should have last year, hoping he would come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,858 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The points hits is my one too. I am the excitable sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Save a transfer then have two save a transfer then have two and repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Watch more matches. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Don't panic if start poor..........take a couple of points hits in first couple of weeks to sort out team rather then use early wildcard, going against the grain here but I think if you can sort out your team with a couple of -4's or a -8 and save the wildcard it will benefit you in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Less rage transfers and not to wildcard after week 1 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

My FPL resolution is not so much about success at the game. What I do intend to do more of this season is to remember that once the "game updating" begins at 11.30 or 11.45 on a Saturday morning that no longer have control over anything that happens. Call it "mindful" or "zen" FPL if you will.

No more letting events beyond my control in a different country affect my mood and my day and my kids day on a Saturday/Sunday.

Not so much of a deal for ye young lads with the luxury of spending the day in the pub watching the games, but many of us have other commitments and I've seen others mention how their FPL addiction affects things negatively.

What I plan to do more of this year (I did it a good bit towards the end of last season) is to do black out Saturdays, wifi and data off, radio off, cd on and get the hell out and do whatever I am doing, being present while doing it. If you can have the discipline to do this the day flies by stress free (well FPL related stress free) and it is also very good craic watching MOTD "live" at night. Serious adrenalin when your cheapie defender is clinging onto a clean sheet vs a big gun in particular. Still hope to slip out for a few Monday night game live mind.

I'm happy to put the effort that I do into my team and my game, but I'm sick of it potentially fcking up my weekends and making into an FPL zombie.

Anyone interesting in joining this venture, all we need is a "Brigade" type nickname and a few beverages lined up for half ten or so on a Saturday & Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

FHFC wrote: »
    My FPL resolution is not so much about success at the game. What I do intend to do more of this season is to remember that once the "game updating" begins at 11.30 or 11.45 on a Saturday morning that no longer have control over anything that happens. Call it "mindful" or "zen" FPL if you will.

No more letting events beyond my control in a different country affect my mood and my day and my kids day on a Saturday/Sunday.

Not so much of a deal for ye young lads with the luxury of spending the day in the pub watching the games, but many of us have other commitments and I've seen others mention how their FPL addiction affects things negatively.

What I plan to do more of this year (I did it a good bit towards the end of last season) is to do black out Saturdays, wifi and data off, radio off, cd on and get the hell out and do whatever I am doing, being present while doing it. If you can have the discipline to do this the day flies by stress free (well FPL related stress free) and it is also very good craic watching MOTD "live" at night. Serious adrenalin when your cheapie defender is clinging onto a clean sheet vs a big gun in particular. Still hope to slip out for a few Monday night game live mind.

I'm happy to put the effort that I do into my team and my game, but I'm sick of it potentially fcking up my weekends and making into an FPL zombie.

Anyone interesting in joining this venture, all we need is a "Brigade" type nickname and a few beverages lined up for half ten or so on a Saturday & Sunday night.

I'm going to try this some Saturday when there is a good few games on and united are not among them as I'll either be at the united game or else watching/listening.
    You have described my weekends during the season and the effect Fpl has on my mood . We are sad men really :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Ivanovic in for the first few weeks. He racks up the points the first few weeks every season and every season I debate whether to get him in or not. This time he made the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

thunderdog wrote: »
    Ivanovic in for the first few weeks. He racks up the points the first few weeks every season and every season I debate whether to get him in or not. This time he made the cut

I'm debating this at the moment and I afraid of getting stung again.

Advertisement