Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over scanning problem with HDMI

Options
  • 07-08-2015 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi

I have my Packard Bell laptop with Intel hd4400 graphics card running on windows 10 connected to my Samsung LE32R72B TV via HDMI. There is a issue with the overscan. Roughly one inch is missing around the whole screen when the laptop screen is projected onto the tv.

I have gone through all resolutions to try to fix the issue from the on screen adjustments, the f4 button, the actual graphic card settings, but no joy. I have also gone into the properties window where it says show all modes and I changed resolution from there and you guessed it, still no joy.

On the tv side... I have no option to fit screen once the HDMI cable is connected. The 'auto fit' and 'fit to screen' option is greyed out.
    From a lot of googling, I found out about this overscan option, which I initially though 'nice one, this should do it', then I discovered that this type of tv has none. I went into the service menu by the info+menu+mute+power on, and I cant see anything to do with screen adjustments or overscan. I didn't want to mess with this too much.

Also, before I upgraded to Windows 10, I had Windows 7 and although there was an overscan issue, it was not as bad as it is now. I could still see the taskbar buttons, etc. But now I can see only some of the task bar (tops of icons) and none of the side buttons like the close window button, scroll bar, and the back page etc etc.

Has anyone any idea of what I could be missing. Is there a particular setting under a different name within the service menu that someone could shed some light on. This is very annoying.

I have been googling a lot and have tried nearly everything. even the simple things like projecting to monitor only. But then again, I might have missed a simple thing. Thats what Boards.ie if for!!:):):):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Sounds like you have tried pretty much all the options. The overscan is the tv's fault so it would be best to correct it on that end if possible. How may HDMI inputs does the TV have? Did you try all of them? Sometimes there will be a "special" HDMI input which plays better with PC's (i.e. no overscan or at least an option to turn it off).

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jimbobtravis

Thanks for replying. My TV only has one HDMI port so unfortunately I can't change anything there. I have been trying and searching everyday since I posted the original post and I still can't find a solution. I came to accept the way it is and soon I will buy a better TV and check in store if there is an overscan option before I buy.

Still open for options though so I will keep an eye on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Yeah, I think any decent new TV will let you turn off overscan. There's really no reason for overscan with digital inputs anyway.

There's one other option, but I think you need an NVidia graphics card. You can make a custom resolution that looks like 1920x1080 to the monitor, but your computer will restrict everything to a smaller box (say 1800 x 1000 or whatever your need to get inside the overscan box).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Intel's graphic control panel will allow you to re-size the desktop. Do you mean that there's a black border around the desktop, or that the desktop is being cut off?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't know if this will help, as I don't have a Samsung TV, but I have a Windows based HTPC connected to an old Philips TV and I had exactly the same problem for ages, and had 'fixed' it by fiddling around with odd resolutions and resizing / scaling options.

Then purely by accident I noticed in the settings that I could change what was displayed for each HDMI input, i.e. VCR, DVD, STB and PC. I thought initially it was purely cosmetic, i.e. to make it easier to select the inputs via the remote, but lo and behold when I set it to PC, overscan was gone completely!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement