Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EL VY - Dec 13th - Vicar Street

Options
  • 07-08-2015 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭

New Super group consisting of Matt Berninger from The National and Brent Knopf of Menomena and the drummer of Wye Oak. They've only released one song so far.

Tickets went on sale for Whelan's this morning and sold out in 1 minute, they were swiftly moved to Vicar Street and went back on sale. I managed to pick up a few tickets in the 2nd draft thankfully.

Dublin looks like the last date on their tour so could be epic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yep I missed out on the tickets for the whelans release but managed to pick some up when they switched to vicar street.

Really like the song they released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Great song, nice and upbeat and a great bass line. Looking forward to the gig.
    Would have preferred it in Whelans though but the demand was obviously gonna be bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Don't think they ever really had any intention of having this in Whelan's, the demand was always going to be too big.

I was on the site as soon as they were released at nine this morning but had sold out in seconds. Managed to get some when they went on sale again for Vicar St.

Looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

monkey9 wrote: »
    Don't think they ever really had any intention of having this in Whelan's, the demand was always going to be too big.

I was on the site as soon as they were released at nine this morning but had sold out in seconds. Managed to get some when they went on sale again for Vicar St.

Looking forward to it now.

Most of their tour is in Whelans sized venues though, even in the States. The Vicar Street gig is now the largest venue on the entire tour.

I managed to get tickets to the Whelans but don't mind that it was upgraded! I saw a few people raging on Twitter for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

Mart Berninger in Whelans would have been pretty special! I agree with the poster that they probably never had any real intention of having it in Whelans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Toast

Vicar St is unquestionably a better venue than Whelans. If you someone how think Whelans is more intimate just get up the front of the Vicar St show. Enjoy also having far more bars, toilets, a better sound and light system and seats if you want them. Oh yeh not having to hear the bar and the people talking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I like Whelans, I think as intimate gigs go it's better than Vicar St for that. But Vicar St. wasn't made for intimate gigs really. Whelans with the right singer and a focused crowd is something special though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Vicar St sold out now too. I prefer Vicar st too. Whelans for a sold out gig is hard to get a good standing spot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭donnacha

Ugh, missed the second release and would have loved to go. Really looking forward to hearing the album which gets released on Oct 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

donnacha wrote: »
    Ugh, missed the second release and would have loved to go. Really looking forward to hearing the album which gets released on Oct 30th.

Missed the entire announcement! :( Will there be any more tickets released or maybe there might be a second date?? If anyone has any spare tickets, please PM me. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

BandMember wrote: »
    Missed the entire announcement! :( Will there be any more tickets released or maybe there might be a second date?? If anyone has any spare tickets, please PM me. Thanks!

Apparently the band don't have another night on tour so venue upgrade was the only option, so I guess no chance of a new date :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

frantic190 wrote: »
    Apparently the band don't have another night on tour so venue upgrade was the only option, so I guess no chance of a new date :(

Damn! :( So, I guess I can only hope that either more tickets come up for sale in the meantime or some kind soul on here can help me out... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

My tickets just arrived in the post.

It's says :

" Whelans
    Changed venue -sell EVR1111"

I'm fully aware of the venue change to Vicar St but Aiken really are making it confusing with tickets printed like this. It's inevitable that some poor sucker will show up at Whelans on the night and will then have to rush across town.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

That is very silly alright!

Why go to the bother of printing "venue changed" on the tickets, and not state the new venue!?!

Unless of course the promotors were thinking of bumping this one up again to perhaps the Olympia.

The demand for this gig is pretty crazy, as all people have had to go on is one song, "return to the moon", which is damn catchy to be fair. Matt Berninger seems to be bringing all The National fans onboard, despite the main National songwriters Aaron and Bryce Desner not being involved. Wye Oak are a great band, that played the Sugar Club on their last visit here (very, very, good gig). And I have no idea who the other guy is.

To say "super group" is pushing it a bit IMO. I really hope these guys produce great things and have a solid live show. I was just surprised at the level of demand. Here's hoping it's justified!

Why go to the bother of printing "venue changed" on the tickets, and not state the new venue!?!

Unless of course the promotors were thinking of bumping this one up again to perhaps the Olympia.
    No, it's an Aiken gig. Vicar St is an Aiken venue, Olympia is MCD

The demand for this gig is pretty crazy, as all people have had to go on is one song, "return to the moon", which is damn catchy to be fair. Matt Berninger seems to be bringing all The National fans onboard, despite the main National songwriters Aaron and Bryce Desner not being involved. Wye Oak are a great band, that played the Sugar Club on their last visit here (very, very, good gig). And I have no idea who the other guy is.

I think I'm the only person going because of the involvement of Menomena's Brent Knopf. Here's a Menomena song.. I like them:

However I'll also admit I just grabbed a ticket mostly based on hype. If the album doesn't do anything for me I'll sell it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

To say "super group" is pushing it a bit IMO. I really hope these guys produce great things and have a solid live show. I was just surprised at the level of demand. Here's hoping it's justified!

Supergroup is not pushing it as that's exactly what EL VY are. It's a group whose members are already successful and well known in other bands!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

BandMember wrote: »
    Damn! :( So, I guess I can only hope that either more tickets come up for sale in the meantime or some kind soul on here can help me out... :cool:

You could always try toutless.com.

Toast wrote: »
    I think I'm the only person going because of the involvement of Menomena's Brent Knopf. Here's a Menomena song.. I like them:

However I'll also admit I just grabbed a ticket mostly based on hype. If the album doesn't do anything for me I'll sell it on.
    I know of a good site you can flog them on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I know of a good site you can flog them on :pac:

I'm sure he'll throw it up on adverts.ie at a hefty mark-up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

http://4ad.com/news/3/9/2015/imthemantobe

New song released today !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Well I cannot stop listening to these :D Excellent stuff! Gonna be flat out looking for tickets on Toutless now.

Album is on Spotify now.

Looking impossible to get tickets for this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Looking impossible to get tickets for this :(

There are always people who have last minute emergencies and offload their tickets through Toutless, et al.

JJ wrote: »
    There are always people who have last minute emergencies and offload their tickets through Toutless, et al.

Yeah I'm checking daily, only about 3 out of the 71 posts so far were for sale, madness :p But yeah I'll keep looking!

The week of the gig is when most will go up. Many people won't sell if they can't go until then in case a friend wants them etc. There probably won't be enough for everyone who is looking but given it is a Sunday and around Christmas there will be plenty of extended hangovers from office parties and colds to make people reconsider leaving the house on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Hopefully its not against the charter here but I have a ticket if anyone wants one. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

I have 1 spare hard copy ticket available if anyone interested. i am based in balbriggan or can meet tomorrow evening. Send me a pm if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Any word on who's playing support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭David Della Rocco

I've a spare seated ticket for this if anyone wants to buy, send a PM. Hoping I can get into standing with the seated ticket. I'll be in Dublin at 7

Advertisement