Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of positions in chemistry

Options
  • 07-08-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

For the first time since I qualified I'm really concerned about a job this September. I'm qualified in Chemistry and science and have applied for at least 40 jobs since June (everything advertised in my subject)

I'm at a loss what to do to be honest, I have not had one interview just a lot of PFO's. I'm normally sorted by this time of year, seriously considering a change in careers even though I want to teach.

Is anyone else in the same boat with regards to their subject?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Yes I'm in a similar position with History and Geography. I promise myself that each summer this will be the last time I put myself through this. Out of the Dip 6 years now and still appear to be getting nowhere in my career. It's embarrassing particularly when I know I'm a very good teacher. Problem with my subjects is that if I decide to quit teaching, which I am very close to doing, I really have no idea for option B career. Really really hurts when you reach a stage where you think it's best to walk away from a career you always wanted. Simply put its not a career at the moment, It's an existence where you are hoping for a large slice of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 35 oneright

I'm out 8 years, I've always got something usual a career break that goes on to the next year. I've done a stint in London worked my way up and got a Head of Science job, money was great but 14 hour days killed me. I had to come home for family reasons.

I don't want to do anything else but I feel like I can't move on with my life as a result. I'd love to buy a house etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

This sounds like me also 6 years out and I agree it IS embarrassing. I have an extended career break so first time ever not looking in the summer. Will dig my heels in as I am well liked (I think :-)and there may be a retirement next year. Its all luck and its a disgrace how well qualified and mostly over qualified teachers are treated. I too have considered leaving multiple times. I feel Im in it so long what else would I do?

I would like to add that I have just bought a house and I was only on contract. My husband had a full time permanent job and that swayed it for us. So you can get a mortgage without being permanent there is hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I qualified in June and Chemistry and Science are my subjects. I've done a few interviews this summer - same feedback each interview - Great interview but we went with someone with more experience. Fairly frustrating. I applied all over the country for jobs though.

At the moment I'm just tossing up either staying here and hoping for some subbing during the year or going to the UK for the year and getting my 300 hours done.

I worked closely with 4 irish NQTs in London, they got their 300 hours over the past 2 years and 2 of them have been promoted to roles of responsibility this year.
    If it's a case of you need to get your hours done id do it, also they agencies are not all they are cracked up to be.
    I applied to the schools directly and was able to negotiate pay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

As a Chemistry teacher myself I would agree there are a lack of positions in Chemistry.

This is obvious why - Because Chemistry is a minority subject. Only around 7000 a year take the subject.

There are few schools that offer more than two chemistry classes (one in fifth and one in sixth year). . . Therefore there are only ten periods each week on each school timetable and usually the same teacher does both.

A minority of schools do not offer Chemistry at all

My advice is simple - Look for Science/Maths jobs and, as your career progresses, positions in Chemistry may arise in schools you end up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭doc_17

janes1234 wrote: »
    This sounds like me also 6 years out and I agree it IS embarrassing. I have an extended career break so first time ever not looking in the summer. Will dig my heels in as I am well liked (I think :-)and there may be a retirement next year. Its all luck and its a disgrace how well qualified and mostly over qualified teachers are treated. I too have considered leaving multiple times. I feel Im in it so long what else would I do?

I would like to add that I have just bought a house and I was only on contract. My husband had a full time permanent job and that swayed it for us. So you can get a mortgage without being permanent there is hope.

Hi. Just wondering what an "over qualified teacher" is?

Thanks

doc_17 wrote:
    Hi. Just wondering what an "over qualified teacher" is?

Somebody with years of experience but no job/no job security.

But how does that make them over qualified?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I would assume it would be people with a masters / phd.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote:
    But how does that make them over qualified?

Ok then obviously you have an issue with this

I would assume it would be people with a masters / phd.

Again, how are they over qualified?

Ok then obviously you have an issue with this

I just don't know what you mean and would like to hear what a teacher over qualified to do their job is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

doc_17 wrote: »
    Again, how are they over qualified?

Because to register as a teacher you need a degree and a post grad in education or a concurrent teaching degree. I would consider someone with a PhD overqualified.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Because to register as a teacher you need a degree and a post grad in education or a concurrent teaching degree. I would consider someone with a PhD overqualified.

We had a number of Chemistry Ph. D.s apply for a four hour position a couple of years ago. There is a lot of competition out there, though in our place, experience won out ahead of qualifications. It was an experienced Ph.D. who got the position, such as it was.

Seems like a few are coming on board now, here's hoping they are not ear marked for someone. I'd be happy with anything at this stage.

I haven't got maths registered but have thought it for the last 8 years but I heard they are tightening up on that

I've had two interviews, still waiting to hear back!!!

oneright wrote:
    I've had two interviews, still waiting to hear back!!!

Best of luck still loads of time

Advertisement