Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

star trek axanar

Options
  • 07-08-2015 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

We are looking for ways to get ready and introduced to the European market. if you have some fun ideas on how to perhaps get the word out more re: Axanar, or Trek in general that also includes Axanar, then we'd absolutely be interested in learning more. :) Feel free to PM me message me here, keep it clean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

tonyheaney wrote: »
    We are looking for ways to get ready and introduced to the European market. if you have some fun ideas on how to perhaps get the word out more re: Axanar, or Trek in general that also includes Axanar, then we'd absolutely be interested in learning more. :) Feel free to PM me message me here, keep it clean.

Just keep doing what we have a been doing. ;)

Posting the prelude on Facebook, etc.

Looking great what they are doing so far.

The new clip looks interesting also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Just keep doing what we have a been doing. ;)

Posting the prelude on Facebook, etc.

Looking great what they are doing so far.

The new clip looks interesting also.

While its aimed at all star trek fans we would like to also cater to its European fans. What could we do to make it even better for the oversee market? Keeping in mind its non-profitable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You can have Miles o'Briens great great great grandfather in it i.e. me!!!!

The impact of George Takei liking and sharing it on Facebook was massive from looking at the kickstarter - what about trying to engage European actors who starred in trek and are big fans to do the same? The likes of Patrick Stewart if he'd be responsive?

what else could be done to bring more attention to the European market

• Advertisement

I think the lack of responses means we are really not sure!

Im pretty sure once it gets closer to launch, it will spread like wildfire. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

Star Trek is Star Trek and loved all over the world for the same reasons. I don't understand what you would do that would make it more appealing to a European Market. People will watch it if it is advertised in the right places, i.e. at Star Trek fans. I don't quite know what region has to do with appeal!

I would just say don't have all American actors in it.

what about the new first time ever €5.99 cost/?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

looking forward to this a lot

prelude was better than anything jj abrams ever did with those recent trash movies. and the next one Beyond a Joke is gonna be no better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

prelude was better than anything jj abrams ever did with those recent trash movies. and the next one Beyond a Joke is gonna be no better

Agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I see Alec and co. are now being sued by Paramount and CBS. Story is here.

While I am a fan of the 20 minute trailer, there was some concern (which was mostly dismissed as jealousy) about the financials and I wonder will the lawsuit shed some light on that.

how do you mean concern (which was mostly dismissed as jealousy) about the financials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Read that article, hmm, this could be dead in the water...:(

Myrddin wrote: »
    Read that article, hmm, this could be dead in the water...:(

WHAT!!!!!

Nooooooooo.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

WHAT!!!!!

Nooooooooo.

:(

Paramount etc seem dead set on defending their IP. I wonder if they're concerned Axanar will make their new planned tv show (and indeed the new movie) look bad? They say it's because it's a professional jobbie & not an amateur production...but hell, Continues has professionals behind it etc & takes donations for funding...

Myrddin wrote: »
    Paramount etc seem dead set on defending their IP. I wonder if they're concerned Axanar will make their new planned tv show (and indeed the new movie) look bad? They say it's because it's a professional jobbie & not an amateur production...but hell, Continues has professionals behind it etc & takes donations for funding...

Yep. They fear it will be better than the **** that Beyond looks like it could be.

From reading on Reddit, a suggestion that the main issue here is the use of Star Trek IP for Axanar to build the for-profit Ares Studios.

tonyheaney wrote: »
    how do you mean concern (which was mostly dismissed as jealousy) about the financials

There was a post on reddit a few months back - a lot of it and the accounts are deleted now but Alec was on being his usual calm and collected self (he has a bit of history re: anger issues online see here).

There is, I've just learned, a subreddit dedicated to being anti-Axanar but it appears to be a one-man show.

Yep. They fear it will be better than the **** that Beyond looks like it could be.

dont get me started with that movie what a crok of stih

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

Cossax wrote: »
    From reading on Reddit, a suggestion that the main issue here is the use of Star Trek IP for Axanar to build the for-profit Ares Studios.

There wass also a rumour about what else the money had been spent on. I.e. nothing to do with Star Trek or a studio.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Do ye mind me asking what ye think about Paramount and CBS suing Axanar and Alec Peters?
    Personally I think it is a disgrace. The smart thing from them to have done was to back them or bring them on board when they saw what a critical success Prelude to Axanar was. Perhaps they were just dismissing them as just another cheap fan film, but now I think they are spooked because they have seen what a crowd funded bunch of professionals can achieve without the backing of the big studios and feel threatened. IMO Axanar is giving the fans what they have been crying out for since the series ended, and the big studios weren't willing to do. Or do well at least.
    I know they are saying that they are giving us a new Star Trek series but I haven't seen or heard anything. (I haven't looked that hard either to be honest.)
    But I'd like to know what ye make of the studios suing a fan production.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's not that surprising with the new films and show being made. Companies like Paramount/CBS will sue or threaten to sue if they see any unauthorised use of their IP. Last thing they want is two versions of Star Trek being released, and having confusion over which is "real".

It sucks, as it looked excellent, but they have every (legal) right to stop people using their IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Daith

Kiith wrote: »
    It's not that surprising with the new films and show being made. Companies like Paramount/CBS will sue or threaten to sue if they see any unauthorised use of their IP. Last thing they want is two versions of Star Trek being released, and having confusion over which is "real".

It sucks, as it looked excellent, but they have every (legal) right to stop people using their IP.

Agreed. Star Trek is their property and they have a right to decide who can use it.

I think Axanar looked great and I'd hope the people behind it could reuse their own assets for something unique.

I just think like, why did they let them get this far before suing them. They havent sued Renegades or Horizon, which IMO are way more of a rip off to the "Star Trek" brand as we know it. Why not sue them when they started making Prelude, why wait til now?
    In fairness, Axanar is not the same as the Trek we are used to, I think it is very different. And Axanar are not making any money out of it either. They wouldn't have gotten the backing from all the donors if it wasn't what people wanted.
    Very frustrating.

That's what's annoying people. Why now, why not New Voyages or any of the several MULTI season spin offs. Hell they used the New Voyage set as the Defiant in Enterprise Mirror Darkly episodes and had the lad playing Kirk have a walk on part in Trek 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I guess at some point they felt they needed to draw a line in the sand. This is a serious production with a decent budget. There's only so much goodwill a major studio will give over use of its multi-million dollar IP.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I guess at some point they felt they needed to draw a line in the sand. This is a serious production with a decent budget. There's only so much goodwill a major studio will give over use of its multi-million dollar IP.

But why not just roll in with it, back them and make money. Axanar have done all the work. Rather cbs going off and making another poor series, why not use what's already there, in production. Team up with Axanar who are way more in tune with the fan base than they are.
    Unless Axanat don't want that. Then fair enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Para/CBS probably don't want that being made, as it's set in the original universe, and could contradict some of what they plan for the new series. The new show is definitely going to be set in the Trek 2009 universe, and the last thing they want is people constantly referring to the recent (and probably better) Axanar release.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Advertisement