Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler sleep help?

Options
  • 06-08-2015 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I am wondering can someone help or point me in right direction. I have a little girl who has just turned 2. I have never really got her to sleep properly and now at end of tether.

At the moment out routine is.
    6. Bath
    6.30 Books
    7 Bed
    Sleep? . Tonight was 8.30

We have swapped that routine around. Dropped TV, kept her up later etc but no luck. We end up an hour of her messing in bed, then throwing dummy out so we have to go up to her to put it back in. Then end up standing in room till she falls asleep.

At one stage we could just drop her and walk out and she would go to sleep. Now if we put her in bed and stay in room we could be an hour before she will go to sleep. Normally I wait a few mins till she is settled. Then go out quietly. Then after a few mins she will start talking away to herself and then can be anything from 5-20 mins after that she has thrown soother out and is standing in bed roaring.

I have watched TV programs, read the web and still nothing works. Any idea's? or anyone know of anyone that can help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Does she still nap in the day? Maybe reduce the naps down if she is and see how that goes. Sounds like she has formed a new habit of throwing out the soother because she knows you will come back. What happens when you put it back? Does she go straight to sleep then or repeat the throwing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

theLuggage wrote: »
    Does she still nap in the day? Maybe reduce the naps down if she is and see how that goes. Sounds like she has formed a new habit of throwing out the soother because she knows you will come back. What happens when you put it back? Does she go straight to sleep then or repeat the throwing?

She has nap in day, we have tried reducing it, also taking it away. But if we take it away then she gets over tired and ends up waking at 4 or 5 in morning then....reducing it does make an impact

Soother is throw out, she waits till we go up, put her back down, give back soother, Soother thrown out again and process starts over again.....

She knows we come to give it back so as you say that is why she throws it out but not sure how to get around that, she wont sleep without it.....

Tonight was. Put her down at 7 after books. Around 7.15 back up shouting for us. Go up, soother out and everything not held down in bed. Put her back down. 15 mins later same thing. So put her down and stood at end of bed for 5 mins, she is asleep....not too bad

Well stick with the reduced nap anyway - at least that's helping and she'll have less energy in the evening.

Is there any way of putting extra soothers in her reach? So if she throws one you can tell her to get a new one herself - sometimes they like being independent and it can distract them a bit from the main issue. You could help her at the start. Remind her they are there, then move to telling her from the room but not near the cot, then to the door etc?? Have never tried anything like it, just an idea.

Or if you think it's a reassurance thing then maybe settle her in and tell her you will be back in 5 mins to check in and that she has her soother. Try just one check and see how that goes - you can always go in more times if needed - but try to get in before she kicks off or throws soother. Then you can make the time longer when she's reassured and used to it. You could also start by saying you'll stay in the room for a few minutes but then you have to go....tidy up, clean etc.

Whatever you do in the end just make sure you are consistent and follow it every night for a while so she gets the message. Some people would let her cry it out and increase the time left crying. That's always an option too.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Is there any way of putting extra soothers in her reach? So if she throws one you can tell her to get a new one herself - sometimes they like being independent and it can distract them a bit from the main issue. You could help her at the start. Remind her they are there, then move to telling her from the room but not near the cot, then to the door etc?? Have never tried anything like it, just an idea.

Yes we tried this, she just fires them all out but not in same direction, so you have them all over the room. So we just leave her with one till she falls asleep:P
    Or if you think it's a reassurance thing then maybe settle her in and tell her you will be back in 5 mins to check in and that she has her soother. Try just one check and see how that goes - you can always go in more times if needed - but try to get in before she kicks off or throws soother. Then you can make the time longer when she's reassured and used to it. You could also start by saying you'll stay in the room for a few minutes but then you have to go....tidy up, clean etc.

Whatever you do in the end just make sure you are consistent and follow it every night for a while so she gets the message. Some people would let her cry it out and increase the time left crying. That's always an option too.

Good luck!

We have tried the double your time method. So leave her in, if she crys wait 2 mins, then 4 mins etc etc.....over an hour later we ended up with her in a complete state.....

Thanks for the help......

Wasn't much help unfortunately! Well sounds like you are trying everything anyway. Stick to it, they do go through these phases and they will settle down ;) Even if it seems it's going to last forever, it won't. Being consistent is the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

had this with my 18 month old last week. It was taking 2 hours to get her to settle she kept throwing out the soother and she wont settle without it. What i did was cut out her morning nap, brought her afternoon one forward to 12:30 and go in and wake her at half two, no later. For the soother issue i bought one of the silicone soother clips and i stitched together the velcro part at the top so she couldnt throw it out. Its worked perfectly! The first night i brought her in at 7:30 and as soon as I put her in the cot she started bawling but I just left and said night night i love you and she was standing bawling as i left but after four mins she realised she couldnt throw out the soother and gave in. The second night she cried for around 20 seconds when i left and last night she didnt cry at all. The string part on the soother is only around 3 inches in length and i clip it down low on her gro bag so the soother just reaches her mouth. In a week or so when she is back to her usual sleeping self i will take it away

Advertisement