Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacking eastern Europe, route advice + questions

Options
  • 06-08-2015 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,
    Am a 22 year old Male planing a first time solo travel/backpacking in eastern europe in a couple of weeks for 28 days. Was hoping to get some advice about my planed route. Here is my route as it stands but open for it to change somewhat.

Zadar (Crotia) – 2 nights
    Split (Crotia) – 2 nights (with day trip to Hvar)
    Trebinje – 4 nights (Bosnia) (with 2 day trips to Dunbrovnik )
    Mostar (Bosnia) – 2 nights (with A day trip to Blagai Tekke)
    Sarajevo(Bosnia) – 3 nights (with a day trip to Lukomir)
    Zagreb (Crotia) – 1 nights
    Ljubljana (Slovenia) – 3 nights (with a day trip to Skocjan Caves)
    Lake Bled (Slovenia) – 3 nights (with a day trip to Vintgar Gorge)
    Salzburg (Austria) – 2 nights
    Vienna (Austria) – 2 nights
    Prague (Czech Republic) – 1 night

-leaving 3 nights wiggle room in case i particular like somewhere/want to add somewhere mid trip

Does this sounds reasonable or am i trying to do to much? Is there somewhere i should stay longer/shorter or a place you think i should try and add?
    Also I wasn't planing on prebooking hostels or transportation but some family thinks this is a mistake... Any one have an opinion on this?

Thanks in advanced

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I think the most frequent advice for backpacking/interrailing is to leave yourself free to do what you want. So in that case you're probably right not to pre-book anything, provided most of the places you're visiting are cities or tourist destinations that should have plenty of accomodation.

For example, you're planning on spending 6 nights in Slovenia. If you decide you don't like it, you can just head on to Austria instead of being stuck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 loosescrew1

Aenaes wrote: »
    I think the most frequent advice for backpacking/interrailing is to leave yourself free to do what you want. So in that case you're probably right not to pre-book anything, provided most of the places you're visiting are cities or tourist destinations that should have plenty of accomodation.

For example, you're planning on spending 6 nights in Slovenia. If you decide you don't like it, you can just head on to Austria instead of being stuck there.

Yea that is the plan. I am open for this to change completely mid trip but just want to have a rough general idea before i go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Yeah, I can't really help you with any of the distances or anything like that since I've never done it. You should probably be aware that Austria is likely to be the most expensive country on your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

Don't think you will need 3nights in Bled or Ljubljana. I have been to both and they are beautiful but small. I'd say 1, max two nights in Bled and same in Ljubljana. You could add sometime to your Prague visit or a night in Bratislava on the way to Vienna. Have a great trip whatever you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

That sounds like a nice, well-timed trip. Personally, I really enjoy Solvenia and would happily spend 6 days there, but everyone's different. Don't prebook too much stuff so you can be flexible, and I'm sure you'll have fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Prague has lost 80% of its charm over the last 10 years, but it's still worth way more than 1 night. I'd consider at least 3 nights there, including a (half) day-trip to Sedlec Ossuary. If you only have one night, then go to Bratislava (just 40km from Vienna, and you can go there by boat quite cheaply. The boat even has sporadic announcements explaining the history of various villages along the waterside) and save Prague for when you have more time.

I'd just spend 1 night in Zadar. Nice enough place but not a vast amount to see/do. Check out the roman ruins in the day (1 or 2 hours, depending on if you visit the museum), watch the sunset from the waterfront, and walk around the small streets in the evening. Spend the night there and move on to Split. There's a lovely foot/cycle path circling the coast around the city, if you have time the next morning, and are inclined towards such things.

You could also see everything in Mostar in just 1 day, but I absolutely loved Mostar, so I didn't mind repeating stuff for the next couple of days :o I went into one of the Mosques, and once inside they invited me to go up the minaret, from where there was a cool view of the whole city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 loosescrew1

Columbia wrote: »
    Prague has lost 80% of its charm over the last 10 years, but it's still worth way more than 1 night. I'd consider at least 3 nights there, including a (half) day-trip to Sedlec Ossuary. If you only have one night, then go to Bratislava (just 40km from Vienna, and you can go there by boat quite cheaply. The boat even has sporadic announcements explaining the history of various villages along the waterside) and save Prague for when you have more time.

I'd just spend 1 night in Zadar. Nice enough place but not a vast amount to see/do. Check out the roman ruins in the day (1 or 2 hours, depending on if you visit the museum), watch the sunset from the waterfront, and walk around the small streets in the evening. Spend the night there and move on to Split. There's a lovely foot/cycle path circling the coast around the city, if you have time the next morning, and are inclined towards such things.

You could also see everything in Mostar in just 1 day, but I absolutely loved Mostar, so I didn't mind repeating stuff for the next couple of days :o I went into one of the Mosques, and once inside they invited me to go up the minaret, from where there was a cool view of the whole city.

My flight home is from Prague so have to go there. I have heard really mixed reviews about Prague from relatives. Depending on how I am for time i may stay longer but I don't see that happening on this trip.
    Your not the first to recommend Bratislava. Will deffently keep it in mind! :)

Is Zadar really that small? I will arrive pretty early as well so maybe 1 night will do.
    That foot path sounds cool. Yea i tend to be inclined towards such things.

Yea i have heard really good things about Mostar. I deffently want to go see "Blagai Tekke" which is aboout 40 mins away from Mostar so will proberbly do that on the 2nd day.

Your trip sound like an absolute blast! If I enjoy mine half as much I will be happy!

Edit: And thanks everyone for all the help! Really appreciate it :D

Advertisement