Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would Roddenberry think...

Options
  • 06-08-2015 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

of how DS9, Voyager & Enterprise panned out? One hand I think he'd be vehemently against the premise of the Dominion War, & the troubles Voyager had...but on the other hand, I think part of him would be fascinated about what would happen if the ideals of his vision of the future, were tested with war & loss. What do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

probably a bit of both.. while he may envisage humanity as being peaceful explorers, he was smart enough to realise everyone we bump into isn't always going to be the same and that humanity would need to get its hands dirty to survive in some cases

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

there was a constant state of unease and even hostility between the Klingons and the federation in Roddenberry's ST emulating the events of the cold war at the time, i reckon if he'd seen the planets and races of the universe he created forge an alliance to overcome a greater evil he'd be impressed by the writing, who knows, he may even have enjoyed it

The follow on series from TNG onwards all give much needed depth to the old ST races, and tbh each series of ST tackled social issues which were current at the time, which was kind of the theme for the original without being overly preachy, well, Shatner will always be preachy but ye know what i mean :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

probably a bit of both.. while he may envisage humanity as being peaceful explorers, he was smart enough to realise everyone we bump into isn't always going to be the same and that humanity would need to get its hands dirty to survive in some cases

Indeed. I think he liked to demonstrate that while we may come up against adversary, our to-be enlightened nature, vision, & morals will always shine through. I think he'd have been vehemently against the concept of Section 31. I also think he'd have agreed with Janeway to destroy the Caretaker array

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Myrddin wrote: »
    Indeed. I think he liked to demonstrate that while we may come up against adversary, our to-be enlightened nature, vision, & morals will always shine through. I think he'd have been vehemently against the concept of Section 31. I also think he'd have agreed with Janeway to destroy the Caretaker array

He was in the era of the US Military Vs Soviet military, but he sure knew as everyone else did the CIA was operating in a dirty war, he may not have liked it but i think he'd see it as inevitable

i reckon if he'd seen the planets and races of the universe he created forge an alliance to overcome a greater evil he'd be impressed by the writing, who knows, he may even have enjoyed it

Very interesting point, the notion of the Federation, Klingons, & Romulans putting their differences aside for the greater good is probably a concept he'd have liked.
    The follow on series from TNG onwards all give much needed depth to the old ST races, and tbh each series of ST tackled social issues which were current at the time, which was kind of the theme for the original without being overly preachy, well, Shatner will always be preachy but ye know what i mean :)

Very true, while we all love space battles etc, the beauty of Trek was always in exploring the human condition, not space. I think he'd have agreed with many of us in that regard, that Voyager was a hugely missed opportunity to explore humanity, rather than the Delta Quadrant.

I seen on wikipedia that Gene's son was so impressed with Star Trek Continues, that he reckons his dad would have considered it canon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I really like STC, it's just a shame that it takes so long for them to make new episodes :/ bloody hell, why are networks not getting involved there?

Even the acting is the closest approximation to the original actors/resses (and in some cases the original guest stars return) I've ever seen from any of the fanfic ST's

I really like STC, it's just a shame that it takes so long for them to make new episodes :/ bloody hell, why are networks not getting involved there?

Even the acting is the closest approximation to the original actors/resses (and in some cases the original guest stars return) I've ever seen from any of the fanfic ST's

Yeah it's fantastic, really great. Sulu is beyond abysmal in it though, & while Spock is well portrayed, he's just too young looking.

Advertisement