Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering swtiching mortgage from KBC to PTSB

Options
  • 06-08-2015 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi - I have been looking at the recent interest rate reductions and am not happy with the offer from KBC. I have to open and use a current account with them which has monthly charges. The current account I use is with PTSB and there are no charges. It also looks that even with the move to KBC I would not save as much on my mortgage compared to moving it to PTSB. So I am asking if any of you have gone through this process? Is it expensive / worth it. Basically any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭g0g

Hi - I have been looking at the recent interest rate reductions and am not happy with the offer from KBC. I have to open and use a current account with them which has monthly charges. The current account I use is with PTSB and there are no charges. It also looks that even with the move to KBC I would not save as much on my mortgage compared to moving it to PTSB. So I am asking if any of you have gone through this process? Is it expensive / worth it. Basically any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.
    I just finished making that exact move a couple of months ago. I did it via broker rather than direct. It's the expected pain in the a55 of filling in lots of forms, but not as bad as first time round because you won't need new life cover. I switched because my LTV is much better now and KBC weren't prepared to review my rate when I approached them. No problem receiving the € 1,000 towards legal fees into my account from PTSB but dunno if that offer is still running. On the grand scheme of things it was easy enough and in my case well worth the long term saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Am thinking of doing this myself, as KBC are resolutely refusing to reduce their SVR or let SVR customers onto any of their LTV products.

Am thinking of doing this myself, as KBC are resolutely refusing to reduce their SVR or let SVR customers onto any of their LTV products.
    Yep, exact same experience as myself, even when I told them I had the formal offer and was about to move unless they could do something. Strangely from what I read recently mightn't PTSB or another end up buying KBC's Irish business?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 celticwarrior8

Thanks for the replies. What about the solictors fees? did you pay the same as going for any other mortgage or was it a cheaper? covered by the 1k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Legal fees for switching should be around 1k.

• Advertisement

Yeah mine were € 1K but I know the solicitor. Defo though I think it'd be a lot cheaper than moving or the first purchase as I presume they don't need to do their searches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 celticwarrior8

oh well. ptsb told me i cant switch while my house is in negative equity :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You cant switch mortgage if you are in negative equity however it should be possible to either trade up or down with your existing lender as nearly all lenders now offer negative equity mortgages.

Advertisement