Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion - Not sure is Bath part is working.

Options
  • 06-08-2015 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi all,

I think I have an issue with the Bath setting of my immersion. Someone might be able to tell me if I do or not. I have a hot water tank that can be heated by the central heating (oil) or the immersion. There is also bath/sink switch on the immersion.

There is a thermometer half ways down the tank and that is connected to the oil boiler to switch it off when water reaches 60degC or whatever it is set to.

I was using the immersion set to Bath to heat water for the morning during the summer. But the it doesnt seem to be working properly, that water runs out pretty quick. (talking a third or less of a Bath fill)

The hot water tank is factory insulated so the only way to feel if the tank is hot is to feel the top pipe coming out of it. Therefore its difficult to see how far down the tank the water is hot a sthere is no access

By using the oil boiler thermometer, half ways down the tank I can turn it to see where there is a click. With the immersion on for an hour it clicks at around 25/30 deg.. showing that the bath element isnt heating that far down the tank.

How far down a tank does the Bath element usually go, what percentage of the tank should it heat?

Any help would be useful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The easiest way for you to tell is by watching your ESB meter.

While you watch it, have someone switch it on, and you will observe the disc rotating faster, and then when bath is selected it will be slightly faster again.

Most immersions are about 27 inches long, so they rarely heat the full tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

styer wrote: »
    Hi all,

I think I have an issue with the Bath setting of my immersion. Someone might be able to tell me if I do or not. I have a hot water tank that can be heated by the central heating (oil) or the immersion. There is also bath/sink switch on the immersion.

There is a thermometer half ways down the tank and that is connected to the oil boiler to switch it off when water reaches 60degC or whatever it is set to.

I was using the immersion set to Bath to heat water for the morning during the summer. But the it doesnt seem to be working properly, that water runs out pretty quick. (talking a third or less of a Bath fill)

The hot water tank is factory insulated so the only way to feel if the tank is hot is to feel the top pipe coming out of it. Therefore its difficult to see how far down the tank the water is hot a sthere is no access

By using the oil boiler thermometer, half ways down the tank I can turn it to see where there is a click. With the immersion on for an hour it clicks at around 25/30 deg.. showing that the bath element isnt heating that far down the tank.

How far down a tank does the Bath element usually go, what percentage of the tank should it heat?

Any help would be useful.

More than likely the switch is reversed as in bath is sink and visa versa and as advised check Sen meter and see that if you switch from bath to sink there is a noticeable difference in speed of rotation which ever is going the fastest is the bath element

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Thanks guys, I did what you said above.. the switch was the wrong way round! it was looking at the speed of rotation that helped find it!

Advertisement