Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reusable nappies

Options
  • 06-08-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Just wondering if anyone has used, or is using, reusable nappies? I have obly became aware of these (baby is 8 months) and am thinking of giving then a go.
    What brands r the best? How r they in terms of management (washing drying etc )
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I use them and love them. I use FuzziBunz and little comforts (now out of business). I wash twice a week, line dry and then stuff them. Takes a bit of work but its worth it in terms of the cost and environmental savings. There are a few Facebook groups about them, one does a cloth nappy library where you could borrow a few to see how you go. There are also many people selling them on second hand, so you could buy a few before you commit to it. We also use cloth wipes, as we quickly realised it was much handier to wash them than use water wipes. I had two in cloth at one stage and it was very manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Mimi I did a two week trail it was €15
    http://www.earthmother.ie/bumgenius-reusable-cloth-nappies-2-week-trial.html
    The lady put in a few brands for me to try not just bum genius. For me it was a DISASTER but a lot of people rave about them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

I use them, have about 30 of them from new born to older. All different makes. I have found them usefull but dont use them full time. Mainly because I find you need the baby on some of them to be the right size or they leak

They seem to be a lot softer on baby bum than standard nappies. Once you get into using them they are easy. Also some nice designs etc out there for them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I use cloth too! Full time on my 18 mth old.

I use probably the simplest style, birth to potty ( clips down to smaller sizes for smaller babies) and all in ones, which means no stuffing inserts. My main brand is Bumgenius Freetimes, but I use others too.

Night time can be a difficult one to crack as you'll often need more absorbent nappy for 12 hours straight.

My guy gets no nappy rash, and I'm happier knowing their minimal impact on the environment. We use cloth wipes too.
    I'd join some facebook groups - cloth nappy chat group ireland, is a good place to start. I'd look into a library loan too as they'll send you different brands so you can see what suits you andyour child best.
    Most people go in stages - day times, nighttime, cloth wipes.
    Once you get into the swing of it it's really easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mimihand

I actually contacted the library for a trial and still no word back! So I'm after purchasing a starter pack just his morning....wonderoos v3,so fingers crossed I'll get the hang of them.
    Can some one tell me what u do when u r out and about and u have a soiled nappy? ...I hope they fome with instructions as I dont know may ken else who has used them!
    Thanks for all the replies so far girls :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

mimihand wrote: »
    I actually contacted the library for a trial and still no word back! So I'm after purchasing a starter pack just his morning....wonderoos v3,so fingers crossed I'll get the hang of them.
    Can some one tell me what u do when u r out and about and u have a soiled nappy? ...I hope they fome with instructions as I dont know may ken else who has used them!
    Thanks for all the replies so far girls :)

I bought a little nappy bag thing.....seemingly called wet bag

On the nappy I use a little liner when putting on so when you take off nappy, just throw out the liner. If a number 2 it will be in liner so you can throw away. Then just throw into wet bag and zip up. Then I just keep the wet bag in my standard nappy bag I carry round with nappies/wipes etc

Something like this I bought: http://www.fluffheaven.com/Planet-Wise-Medium-Wet-Bag_p_318.html

If set up properly then have a bucket with lid at home and drop them into it till you are ready to wash all at once.

I have used fluff heaven before to buy from and also Baba Me, it was only after I talked to them in Parenting & Baby event in RDS I realized they are actually the same company.

These are the liners: http://www.fluffheaven.com/Little-Green-Earthlets-Ultra-Nappy-Liners-100-sheets-_p_285.html
    I got something the same from boots, it was 3 for 2 offer on at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I use totsbots liners too. I get them in boots. Find they are a good size. My boy only goes once a day in the am, so I just tip the dirty liner in the loo. Then it goes into the nappy bucket.

Same as red girl, wet/ dirty nappies go in a wet bag when out and about , then left beside the nappy bucket til wash day.

Def join the facebook group as the library ladies are on there. I contacted them before and my message went into their spam for some reason, they were quick to respond through facebook!

Babame, fluff heaven, bgnappies, are all the same people. They are in newry. Their Facebook page is also great, they do promotions and discounts all the time. You can get great value deals when starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mimihand

Thanks for replies girls and the links. Good to know the liners r so easy got and are flushable. The other liners fleece, hemp etc.. r they different to the disposable liners? Are they used in addition with disposal liners? Maybe for more absorbancy?

Advertisement