Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vintage-watches-collection.com

Options
  • 05-08-2015 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.vintage-watches-collection.com/

Anybody dealt with them?

If I was minded to purchase from them I'd be heading over to examine the prospective purchase.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IMH Avoid like the plague. Some good info yes, but individual watches are more about the fruity descriptions than reality and there are a lot of redials going on. I've also noticed the stock hasn't changed in years. Not a good bet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Wibbs wrote: »
    IMH Avoid like the plague. Some good info yes, but individual watches are more about the fruity descriptions than reality and there are a lot of redials going on. I've also noticed the stock hasn't changed in years. Not a good bet.
    so spaketh the Wibbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Wibbs wrote: »

Where would be a good bet, do you reckon, for getting a 1967 RAF-issued Hamilton?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Looking at the quality of the finishing on this JLC bracelet clasp I'd leave well alone.
    jaeger-lecoultre-bracelet.gif

Best bet for the Hamilton is a WTB on mwrforum.net and set up a couple or three of Ebay searches. There's an Ebay seller called MBRadio who might have their ear to the ground and you could also contact Anchor Supplies to see if they have any ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Looking at the quality of the finishing on this JLC bracelet clasp I'd leave well alone.
    jaeger-lecoultre-bracelet.gif

Best bet for the Hamilton is a WTB on mwrforum.net and set up a couple or three of Ebay searches. There's an Ebay seller called MBRadio who might have their ear to the ground and you could also contact Anchor Supplies to see if they have any ideas.

Cheers - I've been sniffing / lurking around mwrforum.net for a while seeing what might pop-up - nothing as of yet. I'll plunge in an post :D

Was just goofing around last night and one of my regular searches threw up this crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Jawgap wrote: »
    Cheers - I've been sniffing / lurking around mwrforum.net for a while seeing what might pop-up - nothing as of yet. I'll plunge in an post :D

Don't forget that a significant amount of deals on many forums never go near the sales corner. Have a mooch round, contribute a little and contact the members who share an interest in the same watch as you. They may be thinking about changing the emphasis on their collection or may know somebody who has what you want but which they already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Slightly off topic and apologies, but does anyone know a good website for valueing watches. I have a Cartier Argent plaque or G 20m.

Slightly off topic and apologies, but does anyone know a good website for valueing watches. I have a Cartier Argent plaque or G 20m.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

?

Best way to get a general valuation is to go to 2nd had sites (ebay, watch forums, etc...) and see what people are paying for the same model of watch.

If you need a valuation for insurance purposes you should bring it to a jewler who is an AD for that brand...they will usually, for a fee, give you a valuation...which may or may not reflect resale value!

Menas wrote: »
    Best way to get a general valuation is to go to 2nd had sites (ebay, watch forums, etc...) and see what people are paying for the same model of watch.

If you need a valuation for insurance purposes you should bring it to a jewler who is an AD for that brand...they will usually, for a fee, give you a valuation...which may or may not reflect resale value!

Thanks, Can I tell from the markings/stamps on the watch whether it's genuine or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Thanks, Can I tell from the markings/stamps on the watch whether it's genuine or not?

Yes and no. On some fakes they are so baldy made that the marks are badly applied - obviously a fake.
    But other fakes are made to a much higher standard and can be much harder to spot. Do some research on line about how to spot fakes...
    An AD should be able to tell you in less than a minute whether it if fake or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

There are some good guides to Cartier's online

a quick Google

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-To-Spot-A-Fake-Cartier-Watch-/10000000177996984/g.html

Advertisement