Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company Downsizing two weeks after probation end

Options
  • 05-08-2015 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys,

So I've been a bit unlucky today and was called in to a meeting today where I was told that the company was downsizing and I'm going to be let go once my notice period is up. I'm having a meeting about the details tomorrow so if people are able to help tonight then that would be amazing.

My problem is this, just over two weeks ago marked the completion of my probation period meaning that my notice period moves up to a month rather than just being a week. I had a brief meeting with my manager and he told me I've passed it and everyone is very happy with me. Unfortunately I never received confirmation in writing so could the company try stick me with a 1 week notice period or am I still obliged to receive the full month on the basis of passing the 6 month mark and a verbal (I know I can't rely on verbal to hold up) agreement?

Also does anyone know if I have to declare that I am recording the conversation if I so choose to do so tomorrow?

Thanks,
    LJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi guys,

So I've been a bit unlucky today and was called in to a meeting today where I was told that the company was downsizing and I'm going to be let go once my notice period is up. I'm having a meeting about the details tomorrow so if people are able to help tonight then that would be amazing.

My problem is this, just over two weeks ago marked the completion of my probation period meaning that my notice period moves up to a month rather than just being a week. I had a brief meeting with my manager and he told me I've passed it and everyone is very happy with me. Unfortunately I never received confirmation in writing so could the company try stick me with a 1 week notice period or am I still obliged to receive the full month on the basis of passing the 6 month mark and a verbal (I know I can't rely on verbal to hold up) agreement?

Also does anyone know if I have to declare that I am recording the conversation if I so choose to do so tomorrow?

Thanks,
    LJ

What does your contract say?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LearningJunkie

Hi,

It just talks about a 6 month probation but no specifics about how it will end.

Others I've spoken to say I'm save with the one month as I've passed the 6 month period and it is the companies responsibility to have informed me otherwise. Also as the contract is non-specific I understand that ambiguity in a contract favours the party that did not draft it.

So I think I can make the best of this ****ty situation, will find out at 11am today.

LJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi,

It just talks about a 6 month probation but no specifics about how it will end.

Others I've spoken to say I'm save with the one month as I've passed the 6 month period and it is the companies responsibility to have informed me otherwise. Also as the contract is non-specific I understand that ambiguity in a contract favours the party that did not draft it.

So I think I can make the best of this ****ty situation, will find out at 11am today.

LJ

Not quite, check out notice periods on citizens advice websites, 1 week is the statutory minimum, unless you have a clause in your contract which specifies a longer period, that is all that is required to terminate your employment.

Yeah I saw that this morning so I rechecked my contract. It states two weeks notice during my probation period and 4 weeks thereafter.
    davo10 wrote: »
    Not quite, check out notice periods on citizens advice websites, 1 week is the statutory minimum, unless you have a clause in your contract which specifies a longer period, that is all that is required to terminate your employment.

Just a quick update for anyone who cares. I got what my contract stated without issue. Also as an added bonus I don't have to work for the next 4 weeks but still getting paid and thanks to citizens information.ie I found out that the 4 weeks pay is tax free and can claim unemployment while I look for a new job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement