Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring Motherboard to new case - Won't stay powered

Options
  • 05-08-2015 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Forgive me if it's been asked before, I'm going to post a brief video / pic to see if you can help me. I recently purchased a new case for my dads old pc as it was a bit damaged, and got him a SSD.

pics http://imgur.com/a/5QazC

As far as I know, I've hooked up everything the exact same way it was, minus a few connections that were in the old case. Stuff like memory card readers and stuff we didn't need. so I've a few spare parts..

I suspect it could be the way I've the front panel "power" buttons wired. I saw JFP1, and plugged them into this,, somewhat randomly.

would the order I put these in effect which position they go in, or would they cause the pc to boot incorrectly? When I press the power button, it starts momentarily then shuts off, as shown in the video.

The motherboard isn't labelled and I can't find any information on the model as it's from a prebuilt "Medion" tower that Lidl brand..so it's minor guesswork. I'm willing to buy a new MoBo if that's the issue..as partswise, it's not a bad PC.

Also, ran into trouble with the windows 10 upgrade as it said the processor isn't supported although it's an intel i3 530, so that must be a mistake? But I'll figure that out once I get it running again!

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The easiest way to tell where the power switch goes, is use a screwdriver to connect two pins and when it starts, you'll know which ones are the power pins. The other ones aren't strictly necessary at all really (rest, hdd led, power led, etc)

jfp1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

The easiest way to tell where the power switch goes, is use a screwdriver to connect two pins and when it starts, you'll know which ones are the power pins. The other ones aren't strictly necessary at all really (rest, hdd led, power led, etc)
    Thanks, would incorrect placement be a reason for it only powering on for a few seconds?

No, wouldn't have thought so, if it wasn't connected correctly, it shouldn't start at all.

Once you're satisfied the power switch is correctly placed, if its starting but then turning off, make sure that the CPU is seated correctly, that the cooling fan didn't get loose in the swapover, and that the 4-pin connector from the power supply is connected as well as the main 24-pin power connector.

Another easy way to eliminate or narrow down faults is to build it outside the case on the cardboard box or similar, see if it starts then.

24pin and 4 pin are there. Cooling fan and cpu are solid. it's just the stock intel cooler, but isn't moving.
    all the fans start up for a few seconds and then die.

Will try dismantle it one more time and see if it boots outside the case.

V frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Shlippery wrote: »
    24pin and 4 pin are there. Cooling fan and cpu are solid. it's just the stock intel cooler, but isn't moving.
    all the fans start up for a few seconds and then die.

Will try dismantle it one more time and see if it boots outside the case.

V frustrating!

If it's booting momentarily then going dead it sounds like it could be a PSU problem?(At least that's the only time I've come across a problem like this).

Did the PSU take a knock during the transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Could it be shorting in new case maybe?
    Will be interesting to see how it behaves when built outside the case.
    Check you have all your standoffs in. (Assuming your case doesnt come with pre installed ones ofc)

Might be worth ching psu cables to see if there is any damage there.

Just to follow up to give this closure. - PSU was screwed, it was a generic POS with a motherboard equally as terrible...recycling parts wasn't as good as an idea as I thought!

In the end decided to splash out and get a new cpu / motherboard and used the PSU from my previous personal build & just ordered a new PSU for myself!

All working fine now!

Advertisement