Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skip pocket watch find

Options
  • 05-08-2015 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all, found this in a skip the other day, and it looks nice with a bit of weight to it.
    Could anybody tell me any info on it you'd get from the photos attached.
    Its not working and has stamps inside but with no makers name that i can find.
    there is a hand scrawled numbers you might just make out that says 19210 i think and the stamp reads 69349
    The movement looks fairly basic to me but i wouldn't know much about these things.
    Just wondering from fellow board peeps
    Who made it ?
    How old ?
    Is it worth taking it to somebody to see if it could be got going??
    Any info/help on it would be appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭skippey

more pics

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice find! For a start it looks like it's silver so that's good. Age wise I'd reckon 20/30's? Pocketwatches don't hold value like wristwatches(generally speaking). I personally would try to get it going again after such a lucky find. Depending on what's wrong it might be pricey mind you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭skippey

more

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well I can see the problem anyway. It's missing a large part called the balance wheel assembly. It's basically the pendulum of a mechanical watch. You'd have to find another on ebay or the like and then have it fitted. Long winded.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

I predict this....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIIkQO95z4

Don't forget us when you are rich!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

In a skip? Jesus, what is wrong with people!
    Keep us updated, wonder if you can get it to work.

Advertisement