Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to code online oneself...

Options
  • 05-08-2015 12:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been reviewing and doing some online courses through youtube and coding websites.

Initially I started with Javascript, then moved onto Java.

I started with codeacademy.com - and that was very good from the point of view of, you would learn certain elements of coding, but then it would allow you to compile a functional program on the basis of those elements.
    Kind of like a learning-through-doing approach, which I found great.

Since then, to learn Java, I looked at caveofprogramming.com - but his video tutorials were of such poor visual quality - I couldn't actually see the code he was typing.

I'm now doing thenewboston.com tutorials.
    They are good, I'm following them and picking up what I can; but in terms of actually using the code to compile functional programs myself, I mean, from the point of view of those who are more experienced - how does that work?

I've completed the beginners section to his tutorials, and from a beginners point of view, there's some seriously complex stuff in there.
    I can't simply call it from memory to write my own programs - should I just review it again and again until I can reproduce it verbatim?

The parts I find most interesting are designing Graphical User interphases -cause it's like there's a tangible result from the code.

Anyways - in terms of using this type of learning approach to become at least basically functional in programming - is there anything more specific that I can be doing?
    Or is it, like I mentioned, a matter of reviewing it again and again until it sinks in to the point where I can reproduce it verbatim?

I'm also wondering - at university level - does the teaching method vary greatly?
    I assume we would be getting projects to complete on the basis of material covered - learning through doing - which we would do with the assistance of tutors. Would I be right in saying that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

As far as courses are concerned, I found Bucky and Coursera to be very good.

As far a University level, I found that teaching methods vary hugely. Depending on the institution will depend on the way in which they cover the material.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Codecadamy is good for the likes of Python, Ruby and JS.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I've found lynda.com to be really good.

You can check out a few of their courses for free I think, which should give you an idea of how good they are.

Bear in mind that these courses largely don't focus on project-building. There are a few out there (How to build a game with HTML5, how to build an Android note-taking app, etc), but most of them are either the "Essential Training" of a language/technology or focus on teaching you the syntax and knick-knacks of a language. So they'd explain what inheritance is in Java, what the difference is between an object and a class, the difference between reference and primitive variable, etc, but not usually guide you through making something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

a fat guy wrote: »
    I've found lynda.com to be really good.

You can check out a few of their courses for free I think, which should give you an idea of how good they are.

Bear in mind that these courses largely don't focus on project-building. There are a few out there (How to build a game with HTML5, how to build an Android note-taking app, etc), but most of them are either the "Essential Training" of a language/technology or focus on teaching you the syntax and knick-knacks of a language. So they'd explain what inheritance is in Java, what the difference is between an object and a class, the difference between reference and primitive variable, etc, but not usually guide you through making something.

What would assist me with that?
    i.e. actually building something?

Is that what university courses are more aimed at?

I'm just wondering do people actually teach themselves to code successfully without attending a 3rd level course?

And you mention there are some out there that could teach app building, by example.
    What are they and where do I find them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What would assist me with that?
    i.e. actually building something?

Is that what university courses are more aimed at?

I'm just wondering do people actually teach themselves to code successfully without attending a 3rd level course?

I'm a developer in php. All self taught and for what i do, I'm very good at it. However, I'm not likely to increase on the payscale any time soon, nor get a job elsewhere as i have no formal qualifications, so its back to college for me for a 3rd level qualification.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You'll find some good answers in this thread:

Learning coding - good websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

I've always found just writing something you enjoy helps learning a new language.

ie. Figuring out yourself, by researching as you go, just how to write a a puzzle solver, or some something nice and graphical- rather than follow a tutorial...

There is a lot to be said for writing a simple game- can be very challenging as you need to write fast and fault tolerant code to keep the player engaged.

“Roll it back”

I'm a developer in php. All self taught and for what i do, I'm very good at it. However, I'm not likely to increase on the payscale any time soon, nor get a job elsewhere as i have no formal qualifications, so its back to college for me for a 3rd level qualification.

What means and methods to you use to educate yourself on how to code?

Library books, online courses...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What means and methods to you use to educate yourself on how to code?

Library books, online courses...?

I had done some online courses in Java beforehand as well as a familiarity with html before I started, so I had a good understanding of OO concepts.

Online really. I managed to get an internship early on, and getting stuck into a framework with real life projects to write was a massive crash course. That's how I learned

Pick a project to do, and challenge yourself to write it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I've been interested in learning some coding myself, Im interested in automation, time is a big thing trying to find.
    I saw something on a channel called Irish tv yesterday evening about coderdojo? I think thats the name, they had a big expo on, but it seems to be geared towards kids learning, while they are very likely ahead of me in knowledge, is there anything geared towards older adults? learning from the basics and then to help determining where to start or what language to learn? good resources? Ive followed a couple of these threads like this one so I can find them again more easily.
    Id also like to be able to do something with PLC's and am looking for any free resources on setting them up, I have a PLC and a disc with GX developer, but I couldnt connect the cable to my laptop as both ends are female, Im not sure if I just need a straight through adapter to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

cerastes wrote: »
    I saw something on a channel called Irish tv yesterday evening about coderdojo? I think thats the name, they had a big expo on, but it seems to be geared towards kids learning, while they are very likely ahead of me in knowledge, is there anything geared towards older adults?

Yes - they had a huge expo in the RDS couple months ago (coolest projects). Very, Very impressive stuff there. Handmade 3d printed drones and 80's era CPU's made from simple logic chips etc.
    You could volunteer for CoderDojo - they are always looking for volunteers at any level - you wont be teaching but just be there to assist the kids in any lesson they have just learned and pick up lots of skills in the process.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

Hey op,

I did go to college but even at that, I never felt I was being taught as much as I would have liked. Also sometimes the stuff being taught was fairly out of date so between these two reasons I always self studied from books and most of the websites mentioned above.

In fairness to the 3rd level route though, I definitely believe that the 'fundamentals' you learn in college are what gives you the edge over self study.

I mean strictly speaking all of the fundamentals are out there to be learned too don't get me wrong, but I certainly feel there was a massive benefit in having a person to actually explain things to you.

If I were you though I would just try and get stuck in and build something. Think of a small personal project you'd like to make and then just start it. I found making a simple "Paint" app a good exercise when I started learning javascript for example.

I just sat down and planned it out like "What sort of classes will I need?", "What am I trying to represent with them?" so you knew you had to have a "brush" class and and so on.

If you want I could share a dropbox folder with a bunch of programming books with you? Pm me and i'll send you a link. I have books on various web languages, games development, software engineering, data structures and algorithms, design patterns, databases, c++ etc.

^^Dammit.

Sorry for the delay in replying broseph.

If you could forward me them links that would aces!!

Drop me a PM if you have a new account set up (I see your current account is closed)

Advertisement