Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Doe on vintage commercial

Options
  • 04-08-2015 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi. I'm looking for some advice. I have a vintage ice cream van which I intend using as a business once restored. My question is, does my van need a doe or can I get an engineers report to cover me so that I can get the show on the road? I've seen other vintage food vans on the road (citroen hy) without doe, apparently with an engineers report instead. How do I go about having this done and is it a legal route? Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

maybe there is an exemption for food vans along the lines of a Showman's Vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Afaik, as it stands, there is no exemption for vintage commercials from the DoE test. This was discussed in the 'jeep/tractor' section on boards...maybe you will find more info there. The engineers report on the Citroen may have been to satisfy insurance requirements, as opposed to road traffic legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 chimpdoctor

Thanks for the replies. I'm fully restoring it and would be fairly confident it will pass but just trying to figure how I may get around having to go the doe route (if it does fail). They are very strict since the connection with RSA.

@Silvera I had a look at that thread and they talk about post 1980 vans and that when tested "they can only test what applied at the time the vehicle was built". I'm not sure what that means exactly, brakes, lights, suspension etc..? My van is a 1973 bedford. I have a feeling the lads in the doe test centre will just laugh when they see me pulling my yoke in for testing. Will contact vintage society to see what they say. Cheers again.

I failed mine on my 87 Transit this morning. Not surprisingly on brake issued as it has stood for a year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Thanks for the replies. I'm fully restoring it and would be fairly confident it will pass but just trying to figure how I may get around having to go the doe route (if it does fail). They are very strict since the connection with RSA.

I,m surprised that you are actually trying to find a plan b, in case it fails a doe.
    Plan B is putting it right and tested again.

In all fairness for a commercial vehicle, which is what it is, and in close proximity to the general public when its operating its business, it should be a doe
    pass, and nothing less.

If you are restoring it as you say, then if its not roadworthy, then its not restored.

DOE is not a hard test to pass really, as the vehicle year is taken into account. You should read the LGV test criteria, its common sense, nothing exceptional.

Vintage vehicle ownership shouldn,t be used to by pass testing procedures for commercial vehicles. Business vehicles and private ownership are worlds apart.

My 2 cents.....

@kadman I appreciate that, but its not as black and white as you might expect. Ive been in this position before with another van. I had invested a lot of money, did a lot of work and put it through the test. It failed on 2 things, which were parts that I knew were going to be difficult to get. You are given 30 days after the failure to fix the failed part and get a retest. I went over that 30days because it took a couple of months to source, buy and replace the failed parts. I brought it in to be tested again. The guy failed me on 5 other things. Same story, difficult and expensive part to source, went over time , put it in to test again failed on a different thing again. Long story short I just sold the van at a loss.

I dont own a vintage van to bypass testing procedures, its a labour of love for me and would like to get this van back on the road.
    I intend the van to be a legitimate, well run business that is roadworthy but as you can see I have had my fingers burnt before with regard to doe tests. I'm completely on board with getting a doe pass on this van but if I have to go through that process again of missing retest dates because parts take time to source I'm going to see if there is another route. I only asked the question because I have seen other vintage food vans with this "engineers report" to cover them and presumed there was an exemption for vans of a certain age.

I think that these vans are simply being operated illegally as are a very large number of 1980s classic cars. It's not so easy to get away with it with a Commercial as you cannot tax them without the CVRT . The Authorities should close the loophole where you can tax an un-NCTd car .

Next time you see one of these van, check if it is taxed. That will confirm to you that there is no loophole (other than perhaps Showmans use which may extend to Ice Cream vans and foodvans used on fairgrounds I suppose

@savagethegoat I think that's the only way i'll get to the bottom of it, is by asking. Most of these lads are really cagey when you ask them anything to do with the ice cream business, I've no idea why.

Thanks for the replies lads.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Ice cream wars? Anyone from Glasgow would know about them.

Here's the lighter side of things :D:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

@kadman I appreciate that, but its not as black and white as you might expect. Ive been in this position before with another van. I had invested a lot of money, did a lot of work and put it through the test. It failed on 2 things, which were parts that I knew were going to be difficult to get. You are given 30 days after the failure to fix the failed part and get a retest. I went over that 30days because it took a couple of months to source, buy and replace the failed parts. I brought it in to be tested again. The guy failed me on 5 other things. Same story, difficult and expensive part to source, went over time , put it in to test again failed on a different thing again. Long story short I just sold the van at a loss.

I dont own a vintage van to bypass testing procedures, its a labour of love for me and would like to get this van back on the road.
    I intend the van to be a legitimate, well run business that is roadworthy but as you can see I have had my fingers burnt before with regard to doe tests. I'm completely on board with getting a doe pass on this van but if I have to go through that process again of missing retest dates because parts take time to source I'm going to see if there is another route. I only asked the question because I have seen other vintage food vans with this "engineers report" to cover them and presumed there was an exemption for vans of a certain age.

Fair enough.

But how could you have been in the same situation before with another van.

As vans only require a doe after 1980. And if it was a post 80 van, then there is nothing that cant be got for one, regardless of make.

And if it was apre 80 van, then the only pre 80 vehicles that require testing are commercial vehicles. And if you already been there done that....then why ask the question now.

I,m confused......could be an age thing in fairness:D

Best solution is probably a good pre test inspection at a reputable garage, then you wont be under pressure with time limits.

the only time pressure with re-tests is the cost. If you are timed out you have to pay the full fee. If there are things wrong with it when it comes in for re-test, it is in your interest to know from a safety point of view. The test is pretty easy to pass compared to an NCT in fairness.

Advertisement