Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 3 limp mode glow plug

Options
  • 04-08-2015 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All

I have a Mazda 3 2007 that is gone into limp mode not going above 3000 revs.

Starts first time and runs fine and no warning lights on the dash.

I brought to a mechanic who carried out a diagnostic on the computer he said there is an issue with the Glow Plug.

He said to change the glow plug will be straight forward but there is a 50% chance that the glow-plug in damaged and if it brakes into the engine it will be very costly and difficult to take out.

The mechanic is highly recommended and trusted but I want to know if anyone has had similar problem is there anyway of getting around the risk of the glow plug braking into the engine?

or is it lightly to brake?

any advice is welcome.

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Your mechanic is correct. What I have found with these is that they won't to into limp mode until all 4 glow plugs fail, so you don't necessarily need to replace all 4 to get sorted. You can usually tell pretty quickly whether or not each glow plug is going to co-operate when you try to remove it and that way you can leave one or two stubborn ones in place if needed.

So what we do in these cases is try to replace all 4 but if we think there is a risk of breaking it off then we leave it in place rather than get into huge expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JohnD26

George

That's terrific news Ill have a chat with my mechanic and see what he thinks.

The advice is much appreciated.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Hi,

I am in a similar situation where the car is in limp mode. There is no light on the dash and Mazda have said there is a glow plug error in ecu but this does not cause limp mode. My car is 2008 1.6 Diesel DPF model (HDI engine).

I am wondering if this does actually cause limp mode and Mazda are wrong. If anyone has come on this I would appreciate any comments

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

just in case it helps anyone. There were two glow plugs gone so these were replaced and we are back to normal.

Advertisement