Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner home coffee making

Options
  • 04-08-2015 2:38pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

So I'm a fan of coffee, have a nespresso style machine for a while and like it, but want to branch out a bit. I essentially have nothing other than a kettle in terms of equipment.

I was thinking of picking up a Moka pot, and perhaps a grinder for starts. I enjoy espresso/americano style coffee, so I presume there shouldn't be too much to the equipment side of things?

Is there much difference between cheap nobrand moka pots, vs more expensive ones? Any tips would be appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess Bialetti is the more expensive one? That is what I used and found it great until I started buying espresso machines and other equipment.

Something like this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-Express-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0016H2PLS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438696853&sr=8-3&keywords=bialetti

A grinder would be the one thing that would improve your coffee the most from the nespresso. You could start by getting a hand grinder which is not too expensive and can produce a good even grind.

Some thing like a porlex or hario skelton:

http://coffeeangel.com/product/hario-skerton-hand-grinder/

If you are looking for an electric grinder it is worth spending the extra cash on them as the cheap ones are pretty useless and a good one will last you years. You need to be looking at a Burr grinder at a minimum.

Other than the Moka pot you could look at getting a V60 or chemex, these are pour over brewers that use filter papers and produce very tasty coffee when used correctly.

But I think a good grinder is most important.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers for the post! Very informative!

And Bialetti was the one I had seen alright. Is there any advantage to the name brand over a generic one? I've seen one locally for 14 quid for a 3 cup. Might give that a go and see how I fair!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cheers for the post! Very informative!

And Bialetti was the one I had seen alright. Is there any advantage to the name brand over a generic one? I've seen one locally for 14 quid for a 3 cup. Might give that a go and see how I fair!

I'm not sure really, I've only ever used that type but €14 sounds like a decent price to be honest.

Can't imagine there would be that much difference between them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well iI had my first espresso and its great. I'll need to experiment with some different coffee I think, and maybe buy a hand grinder!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I bought a Moka pot a few years ago and enjoyed it fine for a while but once I got the Aeropress there was no going back. I was sure I'd still take the Moka pot out of press every few months but really, I much prefer the results from the Aeropress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Haven't tried Aeropresse, went straight from Moka pot to proper espresso machine (albeit single boiler).

IKEA sell a three cup Moka pot copy which is decent.

As for a grinder, I bought a £25 Delonghi grinder of Amazon a few years ago that's never given a single issue, and will grind so fine my machine won't pump unless I chose a coarser setting!

I've always wanted a Mukka pot though, it's a Moka pot for lattes.

My second Moka pot coffee was far better than the first. Read more tutorials and didn't rush it as much. It made a fantastic coffee!

Never heard of an Aeropresse, must invest in one in the future! Sounds ideal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

410f2c1.png

Get a burr grinder and some freshly roasted beans before you go any further. The aeropress after that and there's no turning back. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

Great picture Mr Magnolia! Very apt. :)

To echo what has been said already, in terms of improving your coffee, a decent grinder will make a bigger difference than any other piece of paraphernalia.

Advertisement