Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for a pay rise

Options
  • 04-08-2015 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys just need a quick bit of advice. Started in my current job a year ago next week. It is a managerial position in a field related to what I trained in. I had no direct experience in this particular area so at the time accepted a salary below the industry average. However a year on I've gained loads of experience and in the words of my employee "exceeded the expectations of the role". So now that my yearly review is coming up I'm wondering how best to approach the subject of a pay increase?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

By preparing a list of your achievements this year and how they helped the company preferably with direct numbers and tie ins to previous performance. Don't walk in there with a paper stating industry average salary because even with 1 year I'm willing to bet you're still below the average work experience by a few years so that's not a really good argument. Instead by showing your value you can negotiate a salary increase which is still likely to put you below the average but it should be a great step towards it.

Advertisement