Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 month off food because of teething?

Options
  • 04-08-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

OMG my LO who was always a great eater is being really fussy with his food. It's so tough going. I'm spending up to an hour trying to get something into him - dif dinners. Just now Injust gave him a bottle (not due one til 3pm). He seems to be teething like crazy. The onlything that settles him is to chew on a face cloth. Tried the socalled wonder gel, Calgel and it does nothing for him sdo have started giving him neurofen today too. He seems ok otherwise but eating is such an ordeal!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Give him Nurofen about 60 mins before dinnertime to give a chance to work and numb the gums

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

John Mason wrote: »
    Give him Nurofen about 60 mins before dinnertime to give a chance to work and numb the gums

Thanks. I gave it after failing to get any food into him. Gave him a bottle and 2 hours later tried the lunch again and he ate every bit and ate all his tea so that's great. I've been avoiding giving neurofen. IS it likely that it will only be now and then - eg if refusing food - or could I end up giving it to him alot for a few days??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I'd give him neurofen and if he still does not settle I'd give him the bottle any time as opposed to holding off till he's due one

There's lots of stomach bugs goin around too so I'd keep a look out for those also. And maybe he's just off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

We give our wee girl big lumps of cucumber to gnaw on when shes teething. The past week or so they were about all shed eat (that and orange segments) - latest teeth appeared and she seems to be settling back to normal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Frozen chunks of pineapple are amazing for teething. Maybe offer healthy snacks a bit more often. If he eats bits and pieces he'll be fine.
    Try not to worry. I find the more you try to get them to eat the more they wont even when hungry.
    I've a very fussy child and I've hust had to learn to chill out.
    I offer small snacks throughout the day so I know she will eat something.
    I know this is not the same situation but it might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

i used to rub bonjella on my little ones gums around 30 mins before eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I wouldn't try forcing the dinners... An hour is an awful long time for a baby. You might start a whole other battleground there for yourself, fussy eating.

He's not going to starve himself. Remember the old mantra, Food before one is fun,not nutrition. Some days they eat, some days they don
    'T. It's all grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

My nearly 7 month old is the same today. She has eaten nothing so I gave an extra bottle. Hopefully it won't last too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I used to make up a big batch of homemade soup for when my little fella was teething as he found it easier to eat than hard solid food. I packed it full of good filling stuff, vegetables and pearl barley etc and froze it in single portion plastic bowls so I could have it out of the freezer and desfrosted in the microwave in under 5 minutes.

Apart from that, I would agree with not forcing the dinners and giving the bottle early if needs be.

Advertisement