Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoobees shoes for pre walkers

Options
  • 04-08-2015 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, my 14 month old isn't walking yet, she will cruise the furniture and walk with the aid of a walking frame. She did take a couple of steps over the weekend so I'd say she's not far off walking. I want to get a pair of pre walkers, just to keep her feet warm if she's outside or if she's using her walker outdoors. I don't fancy spending €36 on a pair of Clarkes pre walkers if she's only going to get a few weeks out of them. Has anyone used Shoobies? They look like they're nice and soft and the price is right!

http://www.shoobees.ie/8-baby-shoes-12-18-months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We got a present of shoebees when he was baby the girl who owns it lives locally so I always buy them for presents ;) they are so super soft. I only put them on him when out in the winter in buggy. They are a wide fit. Jojobebemaman sell very similar shoes but they are much narrower. I bought my boy 2 pairs online and he couldn't even get his foot into them but he has a very broad foot and is a g/h.
    I have seen shoebees in Mothercare if you want yo see them in the flesh.
    Crippps told me not to put anything on his feet until he is walking 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had shoebees on my little one for a good few weeks - we got a present of them. Our floors are timber and tiles and it was too cold for her to go round in her bare feet. She started off fine, but as she became stronger she was pulling herself up, and had a couple of nasty slips on the smooth surface, with her chin hitting the furniture or floor. The Shoebees were mainly to give her a little bit of grip. She had plenty of space in them.The only thing then was that as the weather became (briefly) warmer, she started going out into the garden at the minder's house with other kids and the shoebees were totally ruined in a day or two - so at that point I went out and got pre-walkers for her. It went from "I don't want to spend 36eur on pre-walkers" to "I'll spend 36eur if it saves me spending 20eur on shoebees every week"!!!!
    Our minder was good and left the shoes off her if she was in the house, which I was happy with. Since she's started walking properly, she's mostly in her pre-walkers or her socks if we're indoors - her balance is much better so I'm a bit less worried about slipping.

I understand why you shouldn't put anything on them until they're a good while walking, but what are you supposed to do when they want to toddle outside when it's nice??? There's no winning OP. I can't advise you either way, but I will say that I found the Shoebees really good for indoors.....but they are very soft leather and walking/crawling on patios and paths etc tears holes in them quite quickly. They also won't protect them from damp ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks Millem and Fotty, That's a pity that the Shoobies wear out so quickly as it is mainly for outdoor use that I want them. It's not cold enough to be an issue indoors yet and by the time the weather gets cold she'll hopefully be in proper shoes. I presume the JoJo ones would be the same in that they would wear out quite quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The types of shoes you want will all have soft soles for flexibility, so they'll all wear out quick enough.

I waited about 4 weeks after my boy started walking to get him shoes and cripps told me the 7 week rule for walking is actually from standing/ coasting! I felt like a fool cos he'd been doing that for over 2 months!

Anyway cripps said they'd had all types of shoes from once they start walking , but I didn't check out the prices.

I think if she's worn the soles out of soft things, she's probably be walking enough to get sturdier shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rockinmama

Dori_dormer can I ask what is the 7 week rule for walking? My daughter has started to coast and hates shoes but I'll have to put something on her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Dori that's mad...my guy took his first steps at 10 months he was coasting/standing before that and cripps told me no shoes until he is walking properly for 4 weeks!
    I got him shoes around his first birthday.....actually I am sure there is a thread on it as his feet were sooo big clarks were too small! He ended up with startrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I'd read in books/ online that it's best to leave the shoes til they are walking at least 7 weeks. So I took that literally as walking completely unaided.

They just told me I could have come in much sooner and got shoes for outside so he could hold our hands while walking outside etc. they didn't say I did anything wrong per say just that they considered coasting as walking essentially ' on their feet 7 weeks' most of my friends knew the same so I felt like a fool for taking it so literally! Especially since he'd been taking 3-4 unaided steps between furniture for ages too. Maybe that is the shoe trigger? I dunno!

The shoes they would have offered were fairly flexible though not proper heavy shoes

My fella has massive feet too, still does! First shoe a 5g.....

Advertisement