Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcoming self hatred?

Options
  • 04-08-2015 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi there,

Was just looking for some advice. I keep getting around the 15,000 word mark and then make the mistake of reading my book... I just get so full of self loathing. Not that there is anything bad particularly but I just start to loathe myself for simply trying to write something... Does anyone have any advice to get over this or is this merely the burden of a writer??

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Everyone goes through this to varying degrees.

Pretty much everyone feels like giving up between 15 and 25k words. You just have to keep going, tell yourself that it doesn't matter if it's crap. Just finishing is a great achievement.

I was listening to an interview with Donal Ryan, who wrote The Spinning Heart recently. (738am podcast). He was saying pretty much the same thing you are. He destroyed whole novels, he hated his own writing so much. What changed things for him was getting outside feedback and reassurance from someone whose opinion he trusted.

Would that be an option for you?

Chances are, you're not nearly as bad as you imagine. But you'll realise some day that you'll never be finished developing and improving as a writer. You need to accept where you are now and continue writing without judgement.

Advertisement