Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Maps on Android in USA

Options
  • 04-08-2015 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I'm heading to NY for a few days soon and would love to be able to use my phone as a GPS while I'm there to find places easily. I assume I'll be charged roaming if I decide to use it. Are there any other options?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Nokia HERE maps is what you should use.
    Download the map for offline use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Here maps allows you to use it without internet
    or google maps and my maps i think works as well
    I can vouch for here maps, it really is good. just make sure you download the map before you head over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

robinph wrote: »

Thanks! I already had that installed and forgot I had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

+1 for HERE maps... its fully functional & lets you download countries or regions to use offline...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

HERE is my preferred offline GPS app too.
    It's fairly simple to use, with a nice interface and most importantly it's navigation is very accurate.

There are others I've used in the past, which you may like to try too.
    Navmii
    MapFactor
    BE-ON-ROAD
    OsmAnd
    I liked all of these as they are either open source apps or use OpenStreetMaps, but I found either they weren't completely accurate or were a bit awkward to use. However it's been awhile since I've used some of them so they may be worth trying out.

Check out Maps.me too.

I use it all the time when I go abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I was in France last month and driving so i needed offline maps badly, i always use Here in Ireland and find it great but i wanted a backup so i downladed route 66 and took the free 30 day trial and pardon the pun but it was streets ahead of Here.
    Most of the Times i tried Here while over there it wouldn't lock onto my position or find most locations i was looking for.
    After day two i stopped giving it the benefit of the doubt and just used Route 66 which didn't let me down once.
    It was that impressive I actually downloaded the paid version when i got home and so did my brother in law who traveled with us.

Advertisement