Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

privacy trees

Options
  • 04-08-2015 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody has any ideas for some privacy trees. Basically the back garden wall is a little low and so at certain points we can see into the neighbours garden and vice versa.
    Long story short, the neighbours are loud and quite disrespectful and so we want some privacy.
    We are pondering the possibility of buying large pots and planting trees in them.
    We quite like the Japanese maples - would these grow in a large pot? Any other recs appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I really wouldnt recommend a tree in a pot - have you considered extending the height of the wall with trelising and though growing climbers up it?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

+1. I would dig out a good trench about a foot from the wall and add some compost/soil improver. Block walls soak up water so anything planted right in to the wall will be affected. You can use stakes/bamboos to train the plants towards the wall.Technically, you may need planning if the wall goes above a certain height (afaik this includes wooden add-ons- check you local County Development Plan- it may include this), but by the sound of it your neighbours won't mind too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Hi! Yes I've seen Japanese maples in pots. You'll need large pots! Also I would recommend to plant them out after a few years.
    But for the screen I would rather plant something that stays green in the winter. Evergreen privet grows quite fast... You can cut it as a hedge or simply let it grow to a big bush...

Advertisement