Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dread of using a certain technology!

Options
  • 03-08-2015 11:17pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else here dreaded the thought of using a certain Technology or Development Language? I, for some reason hated the idea of ever having to develop any form of Web Application, but I've come to terms with having no choice in the matter.

So I've put together a set or package of Web Tools for a Production environment. Previously, there were 3 different "Web Sites" serving as Web Applications, which are in desperate need of redevelopment. The package or Web Application, what ever you call it, I developed using ASP.NET and C#. To be honest, I'm not sure what the fuss was and I'm happy with my work.

I can't share it as it is an internal tool, but I'll be putting something together for a friend I may show. I'll be using the template provided by VS 2012 as I'm still getting to grips with CSS and JS, shamefully.

So does anyone dread using certain Technologies or feel the need to berate me for failing to keep up with Web and Mobile Technologies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

No. In fact to 'dread' using any particular technology seems a bit bizarre and at most I might not be terribly interested in it.

Why would one 'dread' using any particular technology?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

No. In fact to 'dread' using any particular technology seems a bit bizarre and at most I might not be terribly interested in it.

Why would one 'dread' using any particular technology?

I'd agree with this. I've worked with an enormous range of tech (mainframe programmer, Vax developer, now Java, lots of Javascript and front-end tech) and while I'd not be happy working with some of it, there's nothing I'd say I'd dread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I love my job, but I unnecessarily saw Web Development as more complex than it actually is and tried to stay way from it. I don't have that choice these days and I honestly don't mind it at all now.

I simply dreaded the thought of Web Development for no particular reason.

Itzy wrote: »
    I love my job, but I unnecessarily saw Web Development as more complex than it actually is and tried to stay way from it.
    I can't imagine any developer 'dreading' any technology for this reason. Maybe 'dreading' in the same sense as 'dreading' having to get out of a nice warm bed on a cold Monday morning, in January. That the only 'dread' I can think of, but that's more sloth than dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I wouldn't call web development or any other software based function a technology. In the case of the web the technology is the means of transfer of information over large distances at high speed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

FSL wrote: »
    In the case of the web the technology is the means of transfer of information over large distances at high speed.

Unusual definition of web technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Graham wrote: »
    Unusual definition of web technologies.

I think he may have missed that this is a "software" forum and be thinking about the web from a hardware point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭NeutralHandle

I wouldn't call web development or any other software based function a technology. In the case of the web the technology is the means of transfer of information over large distances at high speed.

Technology is the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes. It doesn't exclusively refer to physical machines and tools, but also includes virtual ones. Therefore it is correct to refer to software development and applications as technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I developed ecommerce sites that synced up with a POS product exclusive to Apple called "Lightspeed".

And yea you could say I dreaded that, it was a pretty horrible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Also not sure if the replies here are just being pedantic about the word "dread" or the OP really actually means full blown "dread", Im thinking the former :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

only technology i'd dread to use again is Adobe Business Catalyst. had to work on it for an oDesk job back in my dark days of 2011 (never take work on oDesk/upwork)

shudder

Thinking on it, we have 200+ Android apps written, originally using Eclipse. The architecture is complex, between shared libraries, libraries used by both each app and the aforementioned included libraries, not to mention premium and free version variations.

They have to be migrated to Android Studio. I will have to admit that I've been putting that on the long finger and am dreading it a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Thinking on it, we have 200+ Android apps written, originally using Eclipse. The architecture is complex, between shared libraries, libraries used by both each app and the aforementioned included libraries, not to mention premium and free version variations.

They have to be migrated to Android Studio. I will have to admit that I've been putting that on the long finger and am dreading it a bit.

No build system in place (equivalent of Maven or Gradle)? Things like this are a doddle when a declarative build system is used - everything is captured in the pom.xml/build.gradle and can be interpreted by Eclipse/IntelliJ/whatever.

I'm unfamiliar with android development so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

TrueDub wrote: »
    No build system in place (equivalent of Maven or Gradle)? Things like this are a doddle when a declarative build system is used - everything is captured in the pom.xml/build.gradle and can be interpreted by Eclipse/IntelliJ/whatever.
    Oh, I understand that; it's converting 200+ apps from Ant to Gradle that I am dreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Customising a SalesForce app through their online APEX Page editor was a painful experience, very painful but there was still skills and positive points to take from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Damn... Sounds like some of ye are in for some pain! You have my sympathies!

The only time I've ever dreaded working on anything was Java back in my early years of college. I didn't understand it, the lecturer didn't like me and the work was really difficult. I was far more interested in web stuff at the time.

However, I graduated two years ago and had plenty of far better experiences with the language since then. I also picked up a book called Head First Java, based on the top recommendations of almost anywhere I or others asked on the Internet. Seriously, Head First Java, Thinking in Java and Effective Java (2nd edition) kept showing up at the top of the pile everywhere!

So I caved in, bought the book and am about halfway through it now. I'm FAR more confident with the language at this stage. That said, I have worked with Grails (Java/Groovy-based web framework) for over a year now and have built a lot of different Java-based projects at this stage. I also plowed through Sams Teach Yourself Java in 21 Days (Absolutely gruelling process after two weeks, but I'm still working on it) and went through a few Lynda.com classes. So all that definitely helped.

Head First Java is particularly good at teaching and should be recommended by any third-level institute that has Java on its curriculum. It is seriously that good and I recommend it to anyone with an interest in Java.

Back on topic, I think that dreading particular technologies is a symptom of the ego conflicting with reality. I didn't want to admit that I was bad with Java, which manifested itself with a feeling of dread whenever I had to work with it. Is it normal to be bad with a technology before you have really started to use it? Absolutely. But we base our competency on those around us, and there will always be those better and worse than us at absolutely everything. We are all ego-driven creatures who will subconsciously or consciously do anything we have to do to protect our own perfect mental image of ourselves. But in software development, you need to learn to let that kind of thinking go or it'll destroy you.

/Rant over!

Oh, I understand that; it's converting 200+ apps from Ant to Gradle that I am dreading.

Ah, I see - I take it there's no Ant support in Android Studio then?

Sounds to me like an opportunity to write a converter, but a google search indicates that that's a non-trivial piece of work. Good luck!

TrueDub wrote: »
    Ah, I see - I take it there's no Ant support in Android Studio then?
    Android Studio user Gradle, rather than Ant - and TBH, this is not a bad thing as Ant really reached it's limits in Eclipse and Gradle is an improvement.
    Sounds to me like an opportunity to write a converter, but a google search indicates that that's a non-trivial piece of work. Good luck!
    There is an import function with AS, but it really is limited and converting complex app architectures ultimately has to be done by hand and can present challenges.

It's this, multiplied by 200+ and being able to do so without being pulled off to put out some fire or other in the meantime, that I'm not looking forward to. However, this isn't really a dread of the technology per say, as much a dread of a pretty monumental pain in the arse job that has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

,as much a dread of a pretty monumental pain in the arse job that has to be done.

does it though? the main app i'm working on now was started in Eclipse and I see no reason to import it to Android Studio. it is a pain in the balls when you're used to the ease of Android Studio, having to work in Eclipse again and sometimes getting that stuck at 'sdk content loader at 0%' error.

as an aside, Studio and Gradle are a joy to use for all my newer apps now that's it out of beta. it just works™. reaffirms my decision now that I'm 30 to never be an early adopter anymore. still rocking MySQL and PHP on the backend and see no reason to change.

does it though?
    If you think strategically, I'm afraid it does.

Continuing with Eclipse is viable at present, but it probably won't be in a year. Already Google has dropped Eclipse support and eventually any pretense at compatible updates will also end.

Also numerous serious problems (e.g. the 64k method limit - yes, I have hit it) that can be solved with AS simply cannot in the long term with Eclipse. All before one considers the advantages of switching to Gradle.

Switching to AS only for new apps isn't a viable option either; as I said we reuse multiple libraries for game functionality, not to mention advertising networks and marketing functions, and maintaining two separate code-bases for these would become both chaotic and a costly in terms of resources.

Remember, we're not talking about a dozen or so apps, but over 200, many of which have eight figure downloads and bring in tens of thousands in advertising revenue per month each. If they need a quick update (as they did recently due to a security issue found with an earlier version of the Vungle SDK) then speed and reliability are critical - an extra day to do so will potentially lose us tens of thousands in revenue.

None of which makes the job of converting this number of apps any less of a pain in the arse, but strategically it's a no-brainer that it has to be done.

The OP has kind of abandoned the thread, I've noticed. I wonder if this is what he/she meant about 'dread'?

• Advertisement
Advertisement