Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding train and bullet.

Options
  • 03-08-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

what would happen If I was on a train that was travelling as fast as a bullet and I shot a gun in the opposite direction while on the train?

And what would happen of it was a train with no roof or walls? Would the same result occur?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The bullet would leave the gun relative to you and the train at the normal speed, but relative to the world passing by the bullet would never move. If you fired it as you went past a station the bullet would be on the track at the station after the trian has passed that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

The bullet would leave the gun relative to you and the train at the normal speed, but relative to the world passing by the bullet would never move. If you fired it as you went past a station the bullet would be on the track at the station after the trian has passed that location.

Cool. I actually can't get my head around it but I know your answer is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

If I was on top of the train would it be the same result?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

Video here shows it...

http://youtu.be/BLuI118nhzc

“Roll it back”

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

pretty much, yeah. the bullet might get dragged along by wind turbulences,

but ignoring that, if you fired a gun backwards from a train travelling at the same speed as the bullet, and someone standing on the platform dropped another bullet out of their hand from the same height, both would hit the ground at the same time.

heres a mythbusters vid with a football being shot from a cannon

beaten to it, so heres another mythbusters vid...

• Advertisement
Advertisement